Sunday, May 17, 2015

Black Eyed Susan and Kentucky Hot Brown ~ Preakness dinner



Maryland is known for our Black Eyed Susan's..
It's our state flower and it is also the official beverage of the Preakness.
 
In the spirit of yesterdays big Preakness race
I made myself a batch of Black Eyed Susan's to take out on the boat.



As I am battling this nasty head cold,
Chock full of Vitamin C and Vodka ...
this was the peeeeerfect drink!
 
So refreshing!!

 
There are a few varieties of the Black Eyed Susan..
the recipe that I follow is below.
(except that I add a little bit of grenadine syrup)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our Preakness dinner was one that I usually make for the Kentucky derby,
The Kentucky Hot Brown.


Thick Italian bread, turkey, tomatoes, bacon and a creamy parmesan cheese sauce that will melt in your mouth.
Sooo good. 
 

Step by step instructions can be found on an old blog post  here
 
 
I hope that you all had a great weekend.   I've been trying to fight through this cold... I think the worst is over.     Although I am moving a little slow today.   I started this post at 6am this morning,  and it is now 8:45pm.     sheeeesh.  : ) 
Have a great new week.

8 comments:

Diane Mars said...

Well I love the cocktail recipe and I think it was a good choice to kick that cold to the curb, And that open face ... can't remember what it's called but right up my alley! Smart minds think alike.

Valerie Ratliff said...

I would so take the sandwich and cocktail right now. We are being attacked by mosquitoes in droves here.

Kathi D said...

Just found your blog and am enjoying it immensely. The steamed crabs on your page made me smile and reminded me how much I miss the crabs and the Maryland crab cakes. We live in Florida now and do not have the pleasure of blue crab. Thank you for good memories with your pics.
Kathi in Florida

Melinda said...

So sorry to hear that you are under the weather.

The drink sound interesting and the
sammie sounds yummy!

Feel better soon.

M :)

Earlene L. said...

Oh man does that all look yummy!!!!!!
Feel better!

Theresa said...

Beautiful flower and that drink looks DE-licious:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS! For some reason, my side-bar didn't show this post! I will be sure to fix that:)

Pam said...

Hi Leslie! Hope all is well! Since I grew up in Louisville, I'm well acquainted with the races and love them all. Your hot brown looks delicious and I've eaten it many times at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, where it originated. Take care.

Diana Pratiwi said...

Interior Jakarta
Jasa Interior Jakarta
Master Interior Jakarta