Saturday, March 28, 2015

Chicken soup for the cold and weary, kidney stoned soul

It's a total chicken soup and fuzzy socks kinda day here in Baltimore. 
A few months ago I would celebrate the gently falling snow that I can see out of the window,
Today however, I curse it.  GO AWAY!!!
Even my girls are sick of it.

It's sooo cold outside.
So yes..  chicken soup, pajama's and a warm blanket are my friends today.
Let me tell you what's been going on around here these last few weeks.
For about a month now I've been feeling pretty lousy.
My bladder felt like it was literally going to fall out. 
 It hurt to stand, sit, sleep and most of all it hurt to pee.
 Lord did it hurt!!!
( it's weird talking about that on the blogs..  but we all do it)
My first thought was kidney stone but I didn't have any of the normal stone symptoms.
No kidney pain.  No backache. No fever.  Nothing.
I've been going crazy, running back and forth to doctor appointments as they tried to figure it out.
Since I had all of the symptoms of a bladder infection ~  I was treated with heavy doses of antibiotics that made me sick for days.
Thank god for Paul who is always so kind and nurturing when I'm feeling bad..  
As usual, he took good care of me. 
 Driving me to my appointments, snuggling under the blanket, taking me to lunches, and of course..  keeping me laughing in the midst of stressing out.
He is my rock.
On the eve before a scheduled visit with the urologist the pain had stopped.
Like the miracle that I've been praying for..
it was gone. 
The calm before the storm.
Without sharing all of the gory details... 
 I passed an unexpected kidney stone that night. 
I was shocked.
Unfortunately, afterwards..  the pressure and bladder pain came back ten fold. 
Worse then ever..
and then I couldn't pee at all.
Suspecting that there were more stones,
I drank a pint of water before bed and laid awake all night long.
In the morning I had my nifty little stone strainer ready... 
I still couldn't pee.
I drank more water,  went out and met my girlfriend for coffee,  came home and drank more water..
I felt like a tick ready to pop!!!
and then all of the sudden THIS happened.

Holy cow !!!!!!!
I scared Paul to death as I was shouting.. 
It wasn't from pain,  oddly enough,  it didn't hurt that bad.
I was shouting because of the shock of the size.
 I took the stone to my urologist later that afternoon and even he couldn't believe that I had passed a stone so large.      There are a lot of tests that I will be undergoing these next few weeks to try to stop the build up of these stones.   I have Sponge Kidneys which makes them more susceptible to forming stones.  I also have an appointment with the Nephrologist ( kidney specialist) to try to get these kidneys working as they should be.     The main thing right now is.. 
water. water. water.
Bye diet coke.  
 I love you!
Needless to say,  in the midst of all of this,  I haven't done much of anything.
Now that I am feeling better I am looking forward to attacking some projects.
 hopefully we'll start having nice weather soon!! 
Wishing you all a great Easter week.
Happy Palm Sunday.


Blessings in the Country said...

Oh my goodness! I hope something can be done to help you with this. I don't think I'd feel up to much with this problem either. Bless your heart. ~Jessica

Lynn said...

Wow, that looks scary! I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! Take care and I hope you have a great Easter week:@)

Wendi said...

I have been up since 5:30 this morning with a terrible backache. Right where my kidneys are. I have had a kidney stone before and I think I might have one now. They hurt so bad that I am praying that it is not a kidney stone!

I can't believe the size of the stone you passed. Good gosh girl! Whew! I hope they can get this under control so you don't have to go through it again.

Pam said...

Mercy! Glad you're doing better. Take care and Happy Palm Sunday!

Valerie Ratliff said...

Glad you are better praying you find the source to help stop the stones from forming.

It's me said...

Happy easter week love love Ria...!.x!

Bmore Bungalow said...

Oh my, the size of that thing is insane! I hope you feel better soon. Good thing you've got a kind hubby to care for you :-)

Melinda said...

Good Golly Miss Molly!
What a mean stone. I Do
hope you are feeling better.
I showed Mr. Ken because he
has had experience with these.
Take care and drink that water.
Cherry juice is supposed to help

M :)

Karen said... Leslie, I'm surprised you're still standing. I had a kidney stone once, it was awful, as you know. Your hubby sounds like a gem.

Melanie said...

Holy effin hell, look at the size of that!!!!!!! Damn, girl!!! You need to be less of an over-achiever in this area, eh? lol
Hope the treatment works so you don't get any more of THOSE. :(

Find Handmade said...

Loving your pictures (especially the stone!!) and the original way you have put your story across - you're an inspiration and I am following your journey - awesome work!