Tuesday, January 27, 2015

It's Done!!!



I am done!

well,  almost. 
Definitely done enough to show you ~
because...
I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I'm sure that I have been driving my facebook friends a little crazy with my progress status's 
 9 days, Photo after photo..    the room went from "Hoarders" to cozy. 

So where should I start..  before or after?


 Before
 It's pretty funky.  To be fair,  I was organizing when I took these.


Not only did the boxes on the beds need to be organized,  but there were also boxes under the beds,
 many many boxes.    Boxes with bee nest's in them.  Yes... real (empty) bee hives. 
UGH! 

A whole lot of stuff..   That's not quite how I worded it as I sorted through it all.  


I found lots of fun treasures as I was cleaning and sorting,  things I hadn't seen in years!
I really want to share some of them with you,  but I'll save them for another post.

Remember the steps from the last post..





Here they are as I worked my way up.   I still haven't finished painting the landing or the top steps yet.
Now, that I am finished with the worst part ~  the back ~  I am going to work my way back down the steps.
I know.. i am kinda going forward and reverse again

.  I took the dark teal paint all the way up to cover the side wall.   My plan was to paint both side walls dark teal,   the lower longer arched walls a softer shade of teal, and to wallpaper the ceiling with a sky print paper.



If you look back at the before pictures,  you'll see that this ceiling super ugly.
Someone painted over pieces of wallpaper and the only way that I thought that I could make it look better was to cover it up.

Also..  my plan was to sand and stain the wood floor.
That didn't happen either.
The reason..
You can't really see it in the photos,  but the wallpaper was turning out to be a lot of work and a huge waste of time.   It almost made the ceiling look worse!
Anyway.. 
 staining those floors seemed like a lot of trouble when the ceiling still looks like crap.



The floor got painted white
And then,  this happened...

I tore the paper down again and decided to paint my own cloudy sky.


I also decided that I don't like the dark teal on the side walls.  
Dr Phil??   Help me.

Are you ready to see it?

Yeeeeah..... come on in!


I thought that this little corner would be my favorite part of the room.
I had planned to tuck the bench and the table back there
but they didn't fit. 


Besides the storage bench ( here) ,  the folding screen and the shade for the ceiling light..
everything in the room are things that we already had. 
Including the paint and wallpaper that I wasted money on,
I only spent about $200


Kinda hard to believe that this is the same room..

 


I still can't believe it's done.
This job has been looming over me for years!


I had to take the chainsaw to one of the beds and cut the posts and headboard off so that it would fit against the arched wall.   Having them on the side like that really makes the room look bigger.

I could totally sleep here!



 Michelle received two sets of Raggity ann dolls on her first christmas 
~ Since I was a little girl, I have always loved them..  
needless to say,
they had to stay!






This thing is a storage shelf turned sideways.
It was the perfect place to store books and display some of our old toys.

 

The baby doll belongs to Sally.
 It's name is Rainbow and Sally carried her around for years.

The porcelain doll was a Christmas gift given to me 30 years ago when I was just 13.
There was a little country store nearby my house and I drooled over that $100 doll for months.
My parents didn't have a lot of money so my uncle pitched in a bought it.
It was my only gift that year ~   and I treasured her!! 





  
One of Paul's old fire trucks from when he was a boy.

The picture is one of the many amazing drawings that Michelle did in high school.


I made this curtain yesterday.   
Of course,  after I gave all of my linens to the thrift store, 
I would need a set of curtains!!!

This curtain was the bassinet skirt that my mother in law made for my babies.
I cut the center out, cut the skirt in half and temporarily pinned it in place.

I love that I am getting use out of something so special!



 Wow!
Wanna see a before picture again...


Pardon my language
but..
Holy shit!



I plan to paint over that dark teal..
I really want to like it .. but i just don't.


I hope to use this desk as I aim to complete my other 2015 goal,
 which is to finish writing my romance novel before the year ends.


I have a ton of Michelle's art to hang along the staircase.

Isn't this one amazing?
Her talent is incredible!

After changing her mind..
 A LOT!
I am happy to say that she is registered for school and will be finishing her art degree this year.
it would be such a shame to waste talent like this!


That's it..  I can't believe that I am finally able to bring you all upstairs!!

 Sorta..  remember that I've gotta work my way back down the steps again.


It's never ending..
and I love it!

I hope that you enjoyed the tour.

Have a wonderful day friends!!!!!
xo


19 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

What a great space! You always make everything so colorful and fun - I love that you are using your daughter's beautiful artwork :-)

Pam said...

Oh my gosh! You amaze me, Leslie! You are so creative, so original and I can see why your daughter is such a good artist ~ she takes after her creative mother!

How you see new uses for old items is awesome, and I wish I had that talent. Turning a bassinet skirt into a curtain, clever, clever! God only knows what has happened to stuff like that around here over the years.

You totally amaze me with your originality, creativeness and you did a fantastic job on the room. Your old doll is a beauty! Congrats on your new room!!!

Theresa said...

WOW! I could say that over and over and still say it some more! WOW! SO much work and SO well worth it! LOVE seeing the before and after, WOW! :) Have a blessed day, take yourself out to lunch:) HUGS!

janie said...

Wow!!!! So cozy and relaxing!!

I see creativity runs in the family, enjoy your new space!!

Love it, Janie

Blessings in the Country said...

Hi Leslie! You really worked a miracle in that room! It is stunning now! Your hard work paid off. Wow, bee nests?? crazy!
Blessings, Jessica

Gina said...

That is an amazing transformation! I love that the room is filled with so many childhood treasures. Your daughter is very talented...a lot like her Mom, I see.

It's me said...

Wowww lesley.....it is a great room now....i really love it Ferry Much...you did a great job...!!...love from me Ria...x!

Miss Merry said...

I do like the dark teal, but maybe it photographs better than it looks in person? That aside, girl, you are a miracle worker! The project is gorgeous. I know what it is like to face that mountain of stuff and congratulations for taming it! The attic is just gorgeous! What a wonderful refuge and showcase for all your special things! Bravo!

Lynn said...

Your new room looks great! Love that you used the table and colorful chairs! I hope it brings much inspiration and creativity:@)

Brandi said...

Such a great big huge amazing difference. Love all the sentimental items. Beautiful room.

bj said...

DAYUM !!! That is one great makeover...and such an adorable room.
Boy, you did a LOT of work on it and a really REALLY goooood job.
xo

Valerie Ratliff said...

Its great. I love the stories that go along w each individual piece. Are you going to invite guests?

Gloria said...

Hi Leslie,
You did an amazing job! I love the colors and cozy atmosphere of it all! Michelle's art is a wonderful addition. Beautiful!! :)
xox...Gloria

Madelief said...

The room looks absolutely fabulous Leslie. Such a metamorphosis! You did a great job!!!

Wishing you a happy weekend!

Madelief x

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

Beautiful! It is an amazing transformation. I really like how the room looks. Very cozy. Enjoy your day and God bless.

Melanie said...

So amazing!!! You really really outdid yourself. My back is groaning just thinking about how much hard work this must have been. It's such a wonderful little spot now, worthy of being on any floor of the house - not 'just' the attic. :)

Angela V. said...

You've been so busy!!! I just love what you did with the space, it looks beautiful!

Angela V. said...

Your little wooden cabinet it adorable! I just bought the same one last week and it's still mostly empty...gotta get to work filling that adorable thing!

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Love EVERYTHING ~ especially how you kept it real n showed the before! Well done!
hugs,
Leslie