Thursday, November 20, 2014

Counting my blessings















Count your blessings..   you often hear that when there is a shift in your life.    Through good and bad.. there is always a reason to count your blessings.   When life is good, it's easy.    But when things aren't going the way we plan.. it sure is a lot harder to see those blessings clearly.

Many months ago,  when my marriage was quickly crumbling,  when the friends that I loved and trusted betrayed and used me,  when the consequences of those acts caused me to leave the job that I loved for 6 years,  When confusion and sadness consumed me...
 People said it to me many times,  Count your blessings.   Hah!  I could have laughed in their faces.

Tonight, as I stood at the stove, side by side with my husband, cooking dinner together and listening to our daughters silly debate on whether the real pronunciation of  Speaker John Boehner's name is Baynor or Boner...  I heard those voices whispering in my head,  Count your blessings.  



I admit that I have moments when I still miss my old job.  I still miss the chaos of trying to balance work and everything else
.... and then,  I think back to the summer.
 This lazy healing wonderful summer.   Paul and I spent every minute that we had together ~ together.    Healing, loving, forgiving and trusting.. 

I think of all of the trips, days on the boat, dinner dates, movie nights, projects and conversations.

I think back to a few days ago,  sitting at the kitchen table with Michelle, laughing and singing along to our favorite Christmas songs  as we cut out and decorated homemade cinnamon Christmas tree ornaments. 

I think back to last week,  feeling exhausted as I sat on the bus next to sally on our way home from NYC.  I hear her words in my head over and over..   This was the greatest birthday ever and I wouldn't have wanted to come here with anyone else but you..   I am so glad that you stopped working. 
Like music to my ears.. 

I look back to that lonely night in May when the reality of everything completely crushed me.

 I look back at it all and count my blessings. 

 I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  To be in this place that I am today ..  to be loved and to love so much that it hurts ~     This year sure has been an amazing journey!


xo

17 comments:

Valerie Ratliff said...

Beautiful post. Glad things are better.

It's me said...

Leslie...!!,...what a beautiful heart warming post...love it....but did i miss is your mariage broken..?...you are alone now ..?...love from me warm hugs....and blessings...!xxx!

Lynn said...

I like your little words to live by graphic! Glad things are going well-take care:@)

Leslie said...

Oh no Ria ... it is more beautiful and stronger then ever. But if things hadn't have changed back in May I probably wouldn't be here. Happy.

Theresa said...

Beautiful! Our lives are rocky at times on our way to the smooth ground! Sending thankful hugs from my heart to yours!

Pam said...

Nice post! Glad things are going well for you. Sending blessings your way.

Wendi said...

A great reminder that sometimes the rough road leads us to a beautiful place. A place we would have missed if we had avoided that rough patch. Count your blessings indeed!

The Happy Whisk said...

I am still newish here so I don't know everything that went on in your life to bring you here, today.

That being said, this was well-written and thanks for sharing it with us.

New adventures, await.

White Lace and Promises said...

I got chill bumps. What a beautiful post of hope and healing.

ce8d632a-647c-11e3-94d3-000bcdcb2996 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kris said...

Awwww..such a sweet post!!
xo Kris

Marissa said...

Love today's post.
Needed to hear exactly that!

Melinda said...

Wow...glad to hear that your journey brought you here.
Sprry that things were that tough, had no idea.

Life does throw those curves though.

Continued happiness for you and your family.

M :)

Lana Wallpe said...

I think any woman who has a demanding job and a family has to be extremely blessed. I couldn't do it; driving 90 miles round trip, teaching Shakespeare and other works, AND grading 150-170 three page essays would have done me in. I either would have become a parent or teacher I would not have liked. There are moments, though, that I miss it like crazy, but I have found other ways to connect to kids through 4-H and subbing, and neither of these jobs involve grading papers ;-)

Elaine Lewis said...

Oh happy Thanksgiving to you. I am glad all is well. Your girls are getting so big and grown up.

Bmore Bungalow said...

I really enjoyed this post. Sometimes when things are going bad it's hard to remember that everything happens for a reason. A few years back I became overwhelmed by a job I hated and abruptly decided to quit. I remember thinking, "what the heck have I done!" In the end the time off was WONDERFUL, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. In the hustle and bustle of life it's easy to forget the most precious thing we have is time.

I'm glad you and your husband's relationship is back strong.