Saturday, September 27, 2014

Apple Pie baked in an apple



It doesn't get much more September then this...


(boy... that's a great picture if I  do say so myself! )
and yes..  they were as delicious as it looks.
 

I saw a recipe and pinterest and tweaked it since I didn't have the proper ingredients.
First thing I did was grab 4 red apples..  I'm not really sure what kind they are.
Remember,  I'm a price shopper now,  I just bought the cheap ones.

As clumsy and big thumbed as I am ~  we all know that I am a self proclaimed klutz. 
I thought that coring and scooping out the apple would be difficult.
As I started with the first apple, my first thought was that I was going to destroy all 4 apples and end up with a huge mess.

It wasn't that bad.

First I cut the top off and dug a knife in around the core, 
 once I removed a little from the top I was able to use a small spoon to scoop out the rest.
With the same spoon, I pressed and cut around the apple skin and then started removing the apple pieces.
It didn't take long at all.


I put the apple pieces in a bowl and once I had all of the apples hollowed out 
I mixed a little sugar and a lot of cinnamon in with the chunks.



Then I spooned the sugar and cinnamon coated pieces back inside of the apple.
Looks pretty amazing right.
I gotta say.. I was pretty darn proud of myself!! 


The finishing touch...
layer some pre-made pie crust over the top and gently press around the edges to secure it.



They are sooo cute.
They make me feel all nesty.  

Place your apples in a baking dish and add a little bit of water to the pan.
cover and bake for about 20 mins.
Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.


Since I happened to have some heavy cream in the fridge
I whipped up some easy whipped cream.

This is a favorite around here.
The husband normally eats it right from the bowl!


And there you have it..
Delicious fall goodness!!!!


Have a great day friends!
Be your best happy.
: )


Linking in with Valerie and Simple Saturday blog hop






17 comments:

Blackberry Lane said...

Happy Saturday Leslie! Wow, these look so good! I've never heard of making a pie inside the apple peel. I know this would be so tasty. Thanks and enjoy the weekend.
xo Mildred

Brandi said...

Oh my goodness, I must make this soon. They looks so good and cute! Can food be cute?! Well you nailed it!!!

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I saw this too and thought it was a neat idea-Glad to hear it worked out well for you! No doubt it was very tasty:@)

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

Yum that looks delicious! I love baking with apples in the fall. Apple crostata is on my list next. Have a great weekend.

Reveal Natural Health said...

I was trying to pin this because these apples look so good, but I couldn't find a Pin button on the post.

White Lace and Promises said...

Wow! So pretty and I bet so delicious! I will definitely be trying this one! Looks easy even for me. I'm no baker. I'm no good in the kitchen.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

These look amazing! Pinning :-)

Melinda said...

Wish I lived closer!
Those looj oh so good.

M :)

Valerie Ratliff said...


Ummm---yum.

I haven't had real whipping cream in forever.

Hugs from Oklahoma,

Valerie

Liz said...

I have seen these on pinterest too! I thought they would be to hard to make. But you make it look so easy! Will give these a try for sure!!

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

You made this look super easy Leslie! My dad would love these. I think I'll use your recipe including the whipped cream! Thanks so much for your visit and kind comments. I happily followed you back. Looking forward to hanging out. Have a great evening!
Sherry

Theresa said...

OMG... that looks DELICIOUS! Thank you SO much for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try it! Sending HUGS your way!

Gloria said...

Wow!! Looks very mouth-watering! Thanks for sharing. Your photos are amazing! :)

Pam said...

Excellent, what a clever little dessert. I bet they're delicious. Thanks for the recipe and have a good week!

20 North Ora said...

Hi Leslie - Thanks for visiting 20 North Ora. These apple pies look fantastic. I'm definitely going to try and make these!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Judy

Freckled Hen said...

Yum! Those look delicious, I love the lattice top. The essay you posted below this about your love for your family was beautiful, you are a great writer!

Melanie said...

These are so..........cute? They really are. Adorable! And yummy looking.