Monday, June 23, 2014

A trip to the farmers market and some easy Strawberry Jam





It's been a lazy couple of days filled with fevers, sore noses and lots of coughing.
Since Michelle and I  were both finally feeling better from our nasty head/chest colds,
we happily escaped the house yesterday and spent the morning downtown browsing the booths at the farmers market.
The smell of smoked beef , fresh vegetables and steaming hot donuts filled the air
as we shopped and filled our bags with local goodies.





Of course i couldn't leave without a box of powdered goodness!

While we were there I found my dream job!
It's the first time I've seen it and I love this idea.
A woman had an RV set up as a vintage store.
It was the coolest thing! 

and yes,  I fell in love with everything that she had for sale!


It was a great morning.
We left with some hand made jewelry, beautiful flowers, tons of fresh fruits and veggies 
and a tummy ache from all of those greasy little donuts.
They were soooo worth it!

Now..  What to do with all of those delicious strawberries?




Easy Strawberry Jam


Ingredients:
2 pounds fresh strawberries,
4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions:

1. In a wide bowl, crush strawberries in batches until you have 4 cups of mashed berry. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F (105 degrees C). Transfer to hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch head space, and seal. Process in a water bath. If the jam is going to be eaten right away, don't bother with processing, and just refrigerate.



As for today,
The sun is bright and I have a 2 hour paddle-board session scheduled for this afternoon.
Hopefully I don't drown myself in a coughing fit.

Have a wonderful day!
xo

10 comments:

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

LOVEly blog! This post made me drool... cute painted furniture included! ;-)
How fun to have a new bloggy bud right here in MD! I look forward to visiting with you here often.
Have fun paddling. It sounds awesome. I'll be out riding while the weather's still bearable...
hugs
Leslie

Melinda said...

Sounds easy peasy!
Have and be safe.

M :)

Blackberry Lane said...

I love days like you describe at the market. The smell of the different foods makes you so hungry! What a cute idea with the RV.
Thanks for the jam recipe.
Best wishes with the lesson and I hope you feel much better soon.

It's me said...

It feels like summer....))))...love from me Ria...x !

It's me said...

It feels like summer....))))...love from me Ria...x !

Pam said...

That is definitely original with the RV. Here's hoping your dream job comes true! The jam sounds great and couldn't be easier. Have a great week!

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like you had a great visit to the Farmer's Market! Hope the cold gets gone soon:@)

Liz said...

Lots of great things at your Farmers Market, especially those little donuts! Great idea with that RV. Your jam looks great!

Brandi said...

Sounds like you and your daughter had a wonderful day together. I love the Farmer's Market. We have a few of them in my area and I go as often as possible. Thanks for sharing your jam recipe. I bet it would be good with a little cream cheese mixed in too.

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Leslie, Thank you for visiting my blog. Your strawberry jam looks lovely. I have never made it without the surejell. Does the lemon juice take the surejell's place? I love visiting the Farmer Market's also!! Nancy