Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Pallet Table



Good Morning Friends!
Happy Saturday!!

I know, I know...  I let a whole week go by without blogging.
It's been one of those weeks!

In between working, cleaning, and all of those other errands that we moms do everyday
I did manage to find some time to work on my January to-do list.

My favorite thing so far is ...
The pallet table



First, let me just say..
It is not as easy as evil Pinterest makes it look!!

The first thing I did, after decided what size I wanted my table to be,
was to have Paul use the saw and cut it in half.

Cutting it like this was perfect because it left the main frame underneath untouched.


Wearing gloves..   because this wood splinters like crazy,
I removed all of the extra planks from underneath
and added them to the open spaces on the top, and sides of the table.

Easy enough!!

This wood is funky...  If you are looking for perfect
~ maybe you could do it..   but not me,
I need instant gratification.
Plus, I like things looking old and a little beat up.

The next thing I did was sand....  
A LOT!!


I decided I wanted to use some color.. 
I roughly coated the planks with paint, sanded it again, added a little stain, and then varnish.


Now it is time for  legs!

Everyone wants pretty thin legs...  
 except for this pallet table.

I cheated and bought some railing spindles ($12 for 4) 
because I wanted that instant gratification and I didn't feeling like using the hand saw.
 


Big mistake!!

Both the spindle wood and the wood frame of the pallet
are a real......    ummm...  Biotch
to work with!

I broke and striped countless screws trying to attach them!

It was a fight between me and the table..
and for or a long time,  the table was winning
until I finally managed to get them secure.

And then I realized..
That I had cut them too short!

Really!!


Next week... with Paul's help,  the legs get replaced!
I'm not sure what I will use...  but they will definitely be a little thicker and taller.

As for the table itself..
I love it!!


It reminds me of a fishing pier.
Which is making my creative motor spin again.



 What can I make now?  : )

How about you all...  what's been going on where you live?

It's still cold and grey in Baltimore and this chick is counting the days until spring.

Meanwhile,  I need to get some chores done and get ready for work.

See you soon.
Have a wonderful weekend!!

xo







13 comments:

It's Just Dottie said...

Like I have always said...I think you can do everything.
Smiles,Dottie

Blackberry Lane said...

Hi Leslie, I am so happy to see a post from you! I adore this table. Love the way you painted, sanded the top pieces. You have such a way of decorating and creating nice vignettes! Have a good weekend.

Blackberry Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina said...

Leslie, you did an incredible job on the table! Not an easy project, but it looks fantastic!

Theresa said...

Oh girl, that is TOO cute! Great job! My Niece makes lots of stuff using pallets:) I have not tried anything! Have a blessed weekend dear friend, HUGS!

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

It turned out neat, love the color! Also got a kick out of "evil Pinterest":@)

Melinda said...

Looking good. I think you did GREAT!

Your heart garland reminded me to remind you that the Valentine card shower is coming up!!!

M :)

It's me said...

O my o my.....love that table Leslie !!!...love Ria...x !

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

uhm.
Leslie... I love this table.
and, uhm...that RED coffee pot!
Pat

jill said...

I love your table. I always wondered if pallets were hard to work with. Even with all the trouble it gave you it does look wonderful.

I will wave some warm weather your way. It was a beautiful 90 degrees today. All the trees are freaking out and blooming already. Poor things, but what a lovely display.
blessings, jill

Pam said...

Clever, clever, Leslie! You always amaze me! We had lots of snow yesterday so will be shoveling/snowblowing this morning. Then we're supposed to go into the deep freeze again later. Have a great Sunday and keep up the good work!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I love it turned out really good! Happy Sunday!

Melanie said...

Pallet wood is AWFUL. AWFUL. I'm amazed how you were able to transform it. Here's to hoping the legs go a lot faster (and easier) the second time around. :)