Sunday, December 8, 2013

a moment to savor and enjoy December


Good Morning & Happy December!!!

My hoodie is zipped up to my neck and my feet are covered in warm fuzzy socks as I sit glancing out of the window watching the snow fall fast in thick flakes.

Paul and Sally are in the other room watching a very interesting Raven's game and Michelle is downtown, where she spent the night with her girlfriend putting finishing touches on their college finals.
I wish she was home.

 I have this weekend off..  my first weekend home in 6 weeks.
The idea of snow makes me want to bunker down, bake something yummy and attempt to open this blog.
I am actually sitting at the desk top, something I never do because it gives me a killer back ache, but since my little dinosaur laptop hardly works..  this is my last resort. 

We were supposed to attend a memorial service this afternoon for my cousin who died to young.
Life is so short and precious..
   having been working so much,  I admit to being tired and grumpy most of the time now, 
... and I haven't really taken time to enjoy life and appreciate the blessings around me.
The loss of my 30yr old cousin reminds me to breathe, savor and enjoy.

The house is gleaming Christmas.
Since I worked on both Halloween and Thanksgiving nights, 
I am doing my very best to enjoy every ounce of this Christmas.

I don't know which room and tree I love best.

On the sun porch,
Blue and white snowflakes of all different shapes and sizes dance from the ceiling.
Above the little table is a cluster of snowflakes and lights..  
Some times when I walk into this room, it just takes my breath away.
I wish you could see it in person.

The dining room.. 
We decorated this tree the same as we have for the past few years. 
I just love the simple look of red, green and white. 
Just as I suspected,
  those red painted chairs look pretty amazing with the Christmas decorations.



And then there is this tree.. 
 I bought another fake tree and it is gorgeous. 
It is prelit with white lights, and since I must have colored lights on the main tree, I added a few strands. 
It's branches are covered with the ornaments that are most special to us and the traditional angel cow is perched on the top ~ it just wouldn't be christmas without her.



I have also taken some time to enjoy many Hallmark Christmas movies, make some homemade gifts and even read a christmas book.
I am trying!

Yesterday, after scanning through some of my favorite pins, I made these adorable Santa hats made with bugles and chocolate.
They are actually very tasty!


To make them, 
 all you do is dip a bugle in red chocolate.
  let dry. 
 Dip the bottom in white chocolate and sprinkles,
 then add a marshmallow to the top . 

They make the Christmas Chex so much more fun!!



I've made lots of goodies this season so far, 
hopefully I will be able to come back soon and share more recipes. 

I would do it now,  but I am not really even sure that my blog is going to load photos.
I remember reading something about having to buy more storage space.. 
which I haven't yet.
We'll see what happens. 

Happy December dear friends.
I hope to see you all soon.
xoxox
Peace.




16 comments:

Barbara F. said...

So good to see a post, Leslie! I am saddened to hear about your cousin's passing. The good die young, they say. :(. Your home looks fabulous, I love your porch, I love all of it. Cute idea with the Bugles. I am using my iPad and it is impossible to blog with it. I spilled water on my keyboard, then had a fall and broke several toes, so getting a new laptop and having stuff transferred over has fallen behind. xo

Lynn@Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Everything looks so festive and cozy! Glad you finally got some time off, don't know if I ever mentioned the bumper sticker I saw once: "I know there's a Hell, I work retail" add in-especially at Christmas!!! Looks like we got that snow/bad weather I thought you were going to get today. Take care and enjoy the season:@)

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Your sunroom looks so pretty! Happy to see your post and that you are doing well. Happy Holidays :-)

It's Just Dottie said...

Merry Christmas , sweet friend.
Hugs, Dottie

Chris said...

So nice to see a post from you. I have missed visiting with you. I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin.
Your house looks wonderful.
Hugs

Melinda said...

Life is so funny!
I was just thinking
of you today, wondering
how you were. Then I see
that you have stopped by!

So glad to see you!

M : )

Kelly said...

Your rooms are beautiful. They look so pretty and peaceful. I'm so sorry about your cousin.
Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

Jann Olson said...

I am so glad that you are getting a little break to slow down and enjoy this wonderful season. Your home looks fabulous! Breathtaking even in photos. The little treats are cute. We had beautiful snow all day yesterday. We got out and played in it just a little.
hugs,
Jann

Dawn Dutton said...

Love your trees and your decorating. You did a great job!

It's me said...

Wowww love your decoratings !!!...love from me....Ria...x !

Traci Hutton said...

Sorry for your loss.

The house look fabulous for the holidays, hopefully that will lift your spirits!

Diane Lynn said...

Leslie,
I love your blue hanging snowflakes!!! What a great addition to the room! I too saw those Santa hats on Pinterest and thought they would be fun to make.
They are so cute in your Chex Mix!

It's a Baltimore Life said...

Sorry for your loss and welcome back! I've been blogging recently too...took a couple month hiatus ;) Would love the recipe for that snack mix...looks yummy!!

Melanie said...

Everything looks so festive and pretty!! :)

Ana said...

Hi Leslie,
Just thought I'd pop in to say hello. It's been a while. Hope you are doing well. Your trees are so pretty and festive. Can you believe I haven't put mine up yet? Running super late :-) Hopefully it'll be going up tonight. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Hugs,
❤️Ana

Formerly known as Frau said...

Life is short....so sorry for the loss of your cousin. I've been sick all of december and off the computer so sorry for the late well wishes. Merry Christmas to you and yours! Cheers to a healthy happy new year!