Saturday, May 18, 2013

Preakness Balloon Festival


As part of Maryland's Preakness celebration, each year there is a hot air balloon festival.
The festival ends with a balloon launch and race.
It is an amazing sight!

When I was little,  the balloon race was held close by in Baltimore city.
Having lived on a big hill, our view of the balloons was spectacular.
My cousins and I would spend hours sitting in the bed of my uncles pick up truck, watching the balloons as they floated past.
I remember once that one was low enough that the people inside were talking down to us.
of course,  I thought that was the greatest thing ever! 



Now,  the festival is held away from the city so the chance of seeing one of those beauties floating by is rare to none.    I can't say that I would want to be hovering over Baltimore city either. 

This year, after having wanted to see them for years,  Sally and I made the 45 minute drive and spent the evening with these beauties. 

That childhood nostalgic feeling was almost surreal.  
To see them all blown up and clustered together is stunning.

There are lots of pictures..   : )

 















As we were in line to take a tethered balloon ride,  the winds picked up and the balloons came down.
( insert sad face here)
Maybe next year. 

The crowd didn't mind and neither did we.
There was plenty to do and see.




...  and there was yummy delicious funnel cake!!!


Sally and I loved hanging out with the balloons and now this will be a yearly tradition.
Can't wait till next year!!!

Today is the Preakness
which means it's also a good day for ...
Cupcakes!

I whipped up some super easy cupcake toppers with scrap booking stickers and tooth picks.


The cupcakes are from a box..  and frosting from a can.
Doesn't get much easier then that!! 



Wishing you all a great weekend!!!!

I'll be back to fill you in on Darla's surgery. 
meanwhile, this poor doggie needs to cuddle with her mom.

xo.

12 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

What a fun new tradition to start...love hot air balloons...and funnel cake too! Have a great weekend!

Debbie said...

I LOVE funnel cake and what a fun time that looks like you had! Those balloons are amazing. I hope Darla was able to get a lot of cuddles! Have a wonderful weekend.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Isn't it amazing that things once were considered safe are now all about the liability involved. How fun to watch those balloons overhead when you were a kid on a beautiful day - I can just picture it :-)

Brandi said...

My husband and I are seriously thinking about taking a balloon ride on our anniversary. I'm scared but seeing your pictures reminded me of how beautiful it would be. Thanks for sharing your day. Oh and now I want funnel cake! LOL!!!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like a very fun and colorful day:@)

Kelly said...

Wow, that looks like such a fun festival. I love doing things with my kids that bring back fun childhood memories. Hope your doggy feels better soon.
Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

Melinda said...

Don't you just love these?

When we were in New Mexico
seversls years ago, we took
a ride at at sunrise! It was
AWESOME!!!!!

Hope Darla is doing fine.

M :)

It's me said...

Wowwww...this is a beautiful event Lesly !!!...love your pictures...enjoy the weekend love Ria...xxx...

Alwayzbakin said...

Looks like a fun day. I bet it's very cool seeing them up close. I hope Darla feels better soon!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

WHAT FUN...GREAT colorful pictures as well. Bless your sweet Darla.

Theresa said...

Gorgeous colorful balloons! Loved enjoying this celebration with you:) Have a blessed day my friend, HUGS!

Melanie said...

I've never had funnel cake, but that sure does look delish. (Everything is doughboy, doughboy, doughboy here.)
What a fun day!!