Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas 2012 and a shrimp toast recipe



Golly!
I can't believe that it is 2013 and I have not updated this blog since before Christmas.
Happy New year friends!!!

Where do I start.. 
 i have been uber busy
( uber ~  can you tell that I've been home with my girls for the past two weeks) 

It was a great holiday in the Spoonful house.
We celebrated with lots of good friends and family,
We've watched movies,  read books, started a puzzle,  packed up the decorations,
and simply enjoyed our time off.

And to add to my lack of blogging lately,
My laptop is not working well and I ran out of photo storage space.
Yikes.
*

Christmas eve we were blessed with the beautiful ambiance of a  little snow shower
~~ the perfect setting for the Christmas eve mass that we attended.



After church, we enjoyed a yummy feast of Chinese cuisine.

And I am excited to tell you that I made homemade shrimp toast for the very first time
and it was delicious!!!!

The recipe is below.




Shrimp Toast

SHRIMP MIXTURE:
1 lb. raw shrimp, shelled and minced well or ground
2 tsp. mashed fresh ginger (use less if using prepared spice)
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 tsp of parsley
1 tsp. salt
Few grains pepper
1/2 tsp. Accent
Spring onion, chopped

Mix well.

BATTER:

4 egg whites
1 tbsp. cornstarch

Beat and fold into shrimp mixture.




It looks rather gross doesn't it!


BREAD:

1 loaf sandwich bread (day old is the best)

Cut crust off bread and cut slices into any desired shape. Triangles are easy.

* I topped our shrimp toast with another slice of bread .. pinching the "sandwich" at the sides, then cut them into halves or 4 quarters before deep frying.






Shape small mounds of mixture on bread slices. Do not allow the mixture to sit on the bread for a long time. The mixture can be frozen. Heat oil in frying pan (enough oil so the toast can float, about 3/8 inch) to 380 degrees. Drop pieces in oil, shrimp side down. Fry until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn quickly, brown the bottom. Serve hot.



It is soooo gooood!!!
If I wasn't trying to get back to better eating I would be tempted to make some right now!


Christmas day came and went in a blur.
We enjoyed the day at home,  had a small dinner and relaxed.
It was a very peaceful happy day!

Doesn't everyone's house look like this at Christmas?


Michelle sits unwrapping Pearls gifts.
Her  favorite gift was the new harp bench that matches her beautiful harp. 


And Sally's favorite gift was the new guitar.


This year has been a true blessing. 

From those beautiful days spent on the beach,  the wonderful changes that my girls have encountered this year,  Awesome Halloween fun,   to finding forgiveness and having the true meaning of Christmas embedded in my heart...
2012 was a special wonderful year.


I hope that you all are well.
I wish you great health, happiness and peace.

xo

19 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas with your family, Leslie! It all goes by so quick and I usually have too many pictures to post! Yes, my house looks like yours on Christmas morning (and for days after). The shrimp toast looks great...I've never even seen it before!

Wishing you all the best in 2013!

XO,
Jane

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas-big smiles seeing your pics! I loved the pretty Christmas Eve snow too! Happy 2013:@)

Melinda said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas for
The Spoonfuls!

May 2013 bring you great things!

M :)

Debbie said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas and yes, my house pretty much looks the same! It is so sad to see it come and go so fast. Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

Brandi said...

Leslie, I love shrimp toast. I have never tried making it at home though. Your recipe looks so delicious. Glad you had a nice holiday. Happy New Year to your family.

Barbara F. said...

Looks like a wonderful holiday at your house. I do enjoy a good shrimp toast, have to try this out, maybe for the Chinese New Year. I love the doggie in the last photo, is that a Boston terrier? xo P.S. Wishing you the best for 2013!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Oh my stars! It looks like you all had a wonderful Christmas! And Happy Birthday too! Such musical and talented girls you have (oh dear, that sounds sort of Yoda, doesn't it). Can you believe I have never had shrimp toast? Sounds delicious! I will have to try it. Sounds like comfort food. Is it?

HaBee New Year!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Glad to hear from you and you made it through the holidays. Missed your posts. Happy New Year!!

Melanie said...

Happy New Year to you!!!!!!!! :)

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Great to hear you had a nice Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family :-)

It's me said...

Happy new year !!!...miss you on my blog ???...love Ria...xxx..

Chris said...

Happy New Year!
It looks like you had a lovely holiday.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Happy New Year! Looks like you had a wonderful holiday! Cheers to a new healthy year!

Lee Ann said...

what a perfect christms my friend :-) I hope 2013 is a fantastic year for you and your family xxx

Lilly said...

Happy New Year! Looks like you've had a great Christmas! Your girls sounds so talented, I wish I could play the harp, it's such a beautiful instrument!

Coastalpines said...

Happy New Year! I hope to return to blogging soon, miss all my blog buddies :) That shrimp toast looks ah-mazing!

Maple Lane said...

Happy New Year. What a lovely and heartwarming account of your holiday with family. I enjoyed the pictures very much.

earlene said...

Love your blog and just became a follower.

Linda said...

Never had shrimp toast...sounds yummy! That was a beautiful post...looks like you had a great year! Happy New Year!