Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The journey started today




Life is not about the destination...  but about the journey!

( originally posted Nov. 2010) 



Que the heavy metal music!
The year is 1989
and while I wore a can of hairspray on my hair
Paul couldn't even fit his hair under his hat.



Where our journey started

It was the day before thanksgving, the year was 1989 and I never left the house without protecting my hair with a half of a can gallon of aqua net hair spray and my favorite black and white checkered "Bobby Brown" pants. I was 17 and what happened that day changed my life forever.

My mother was a security guard at a large shipping port. Although my mom was crazy cool and could make anybody laugh.. not everyone there was nice to her.

You see, my mom was a story teller ~ truth embellisher ~ some would call her a bullshitter. Say what they wanted, my mom had a huge heart and a loving soul.. which was why I wasn't surprised when she told me about some men at the port who were very nice to her. One man in particular was very kind to my mom.

So, back to that day before Thanksgiving. It was mid afternoon and I was helping my mother work around the house in preparation for the next days dinner. My mom always made way to much food!

I was vacuuming the stairs when there was a knock at the door. I turned the vacume off and listened as my mom opened the door and greeted her guest. I retreated to the top step and peaked down at the cute man with the mustache that sat in the chair across from my mom.

Oh yeah.. I should mention. One day my mom said to me that this guy from her work ~the nice one ~ the rich Italian guy~ saw a photo of me and was going to stop by to meet me. Like I said, my mom was a story teller, I didn't believe her. In fact, I never gave it any thought.
   Which is why I was surprised when my mother called upstairs to me to come down..   that there was someone that she wanted me to meet. I knew immediately that it was the guy she spoke about and I was frantic. I had been cleaning all morning, in my cleaning clothes.. and had flat hair. It was 1989, no self respecting girl would be seen with flat hair.

ok.. so I did.

I came out of hiding.. wearing a pink sweatsuit, flat hair, and a 17 year old face free of makeup.
He shook my hand and introduced himself. You know how some people have a genuine look of truth and likability about them.. he had it. I liked him from the very start.


The 90's!
We are parents now..
We've toned it down a bit.

~ We sat at the kitchen table in this very kitchen and we talked for hours. We walked his huge dog walked us through the new fallen snow and we talked some more.

He told me stories of his history and I told him dreams of my future. Something was just right.. at that very moment, as scary as it was .. we both knew that that day was the first day of the rest of our lives.




The 2000's.
Our kids are growing up and
We are living life and having a great time.
I have since gotten rid of that yucky blonde hair
while paul has aquired more of that handsome silver in his.

And if you are wondering..  No,  he does not sleep in those baseball caps.
haha.

Each Thanksgiving while giving thanks for the many blessings in my life.. I give thanks to my mom for giving me this wonderful gift. 21   23 years later, we still sit in the same kitchen.. he still tells stories of our past and I still tell him dreams of our futures.

Oh.. and the rich Italian thing.. I told you my mom was a bullshitter. : )

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone

18 comments:

Katharine said...

I love this story! I am thankful that you married my husbands cousin, and that I've had the pleasure of getting to know you.Life is sweeter when shared with friends! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tracey said...

I love it!!! Thanks so much for sharing... what an awesome story!! I knew my hubby was the one the moment I laid eyes on him...almost 31 years ago :-)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Lilly said...

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it! Have a great Thanksgiving :)

Lisa said...

Aaaw! How cute! Congrats!

Maple Lane said...

What a wonderful story. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Fiona said...

Hi Leslie

I just popped in to wish you and yor family a very Happy Thanksgiving.

I hope that you all have a lovely day.

Enjoy

x Fiona

Bob and Deb said...

What a wonderful story! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and rich Italian husband! :0)

Bob and Deb said...

What a wonderful story! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and rich Italian husband! :0)

Diane Mars said...

Congratulations to have found the perfect match! What a darling couple you two make! And your mom sounds like a great person... funny story hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving~ Hugs, Diane

una sognatrice newyorkese said...

I just found your blog... The Italian part catched my eyes.... Because I'm Italian!! Nice story!!!
Ezia.

Sarah B said...

Such a fantastic story. You were/are a lucky lady :)
x

It's me said...

Wonderful story darling !!!.....love from me...xxx...

Karen said...

Aww, what a GREAT story! Love the ending:) You two are just the cutest.

Melinda said...

I remember this story.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I hope you are doing ok with your
kidney issue.

M :)

Chris said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Love this post!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I love this story....love at first sight does exist. Plus I love that both our love stories started on the same day! Mine not as cool as yours though....actually couldn't share at dinner table! Love the 80's!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Happy Weekend Leslie!!

Mo' Betta said...

Love this story :-) And the 80's ruled. Of course, I hate the feel of hairspray in my hair now!