Monday, October 8, 2012

The Spoonful Home tour


I was recently asked to host a home tour post on my new friend Mica's blog,
Frolicking Freckles.    
I am honored that she wants to feature our random little house in her blog.
I hope that you enjoy.
Stop by and visit Mica for more home tours.




*



HI  !!!!
 Welcome to the Spoonful house.



I am glad that you called first...
I hate it  when I am  unexpectedly busted singing and dancing to the Monster Mash
~  If I could sing and dance it would be just fine.. 
 but this girl has NO rhythm!



Come in.  
I am so happy to have you on this home tour with me.
Thank you Mica for asking me to share our home.



Before we go any farther
I must tell you that..  October is my favorite month.

Normally, as you enter the sun porch  you would be greeted by gentle breezes and sunny colors.


But since it is October,
I am afraid to tell you that you will be greeted  be the creepy welcoming committee.
Don't worry..   They've been tamed.


Growing up,  I wasn't one of those girls with the pretty pink canopy bed and majorette lessons.
No sirree. 
 I was a girl with tattered shoes and a handful of possessions. 
My family was poor, everything my mother owned was given to her.
My mom  made the best of it, always making our rented houses and apartments a home.
While most kids my age were scanning the Sears catalog for cool clothes and new Atari games,
I  had a different passion ~ the housewares section.
I could sit in a room for hours and browse the catalog and mentally decorate my moms house.
I had this image of what a home was supposed to look like..
Formal, with draperies, wallpaper and matching china.
Floor lamps with cozy light, grandfather clocks and furniture that matched.
And my dream home included family..
family that sat around my (dream) lace covered table and celebrated holidays with tall fluted glasses and fancy silver.
A lot has changed since way back then,
especially my decorating ideas.
Today, I don't care if things match.
In fact, in most cases I don't want them to.
I love to decorate with things found at the thrift shops and home made items.
Polka dots, photographs, old toys, palettes of color and complete randomness ~
The greatest thing that fills our house is something that you can't find in any catalog;
 love and laughter, here you will find  plenty of both.

This is the living room...  and it is well lived in.
This room just smiles at me..   come in, sit down, put your feet on the table.




Sharky would much rather be stretched out on the sofa.
At night..  if you creep very quietly down the steps you will catch him snoozing where he is not allowed!


The dining room is just as random as the rest of the house.

( can you tell that I love bunting!!)

I always keep the dining room table set..  
my main reason for doing so is so that it doesn't collect junk,
book bags, man supplies, mail...  you know!



Here is the room last Christmas.
It feels so warm and cozy ~ 

We live simple and small in the Spoonful house
and it feels good.  
I wish my mom had a little house like this.


Darla loves to sit near the fire when she's cold.


Lets go to the kitchen.
Can I get you a coffee?

23 years ago, Paul and I had our first date in this kitchen.
It looks a lot different then it used to. I painted the cabinets, painted the walls ( a billion times), put in the new floor, added the pressed tin back drop and recently made over the counter tops.
I said I..  because I did it all myself.  : ) 

Girls rule!!


Long before the black appliances and the painted cabinets and counter tops..
this is what our kitchen looked like when we were first married.


It is hard to believe that this is the same corner.

 My favorite thing about this old  house...
  We've had such a long history here that everywhere I look,  there is a memory.



Lets go upstairs.
If the banister post looks a little odd..  that's because Paul and I made it  look like the lighthouse on our favorite beach.




Look who is waiting for us upstairs..
Hi Stymie!


For some reason, Stymie's favorite room is the bathroom!


Yes.  That is a black sparkly pumpkin on the bathroom floor.


From this room you can hear a lot of giggling and creating
but hardly will you ever hear the sound of a vacuum cleaner.


And from this room you will hear the most beautiful angelic music that you have ever heard.


This room is still in need of a makeover
 and most days looks like my closet and dresser have thrown up all over the floor!


Are you ready for an adventure?
Follow me to no mans land..  a place that I hardly ever show.

Through this secret door..



And up another flight of steps.



 leads to the coolest room in the house!!!

And someday.. when I've finally  finished cleaning and organising.
and when the stink bugs are all gone~
I will take you all the way up!


Meanwhile,  Lets go back downstairs..

And MONSTER MASH!



Thank you for coming along on this tour.
I hope that you enjoyed yourself and felt at home here in the Spoonful house.
Come back any time!

xo
Leslie




19 comments:

Jen said...

Leslie, I love your home. You definitely made me want to come visit. It has a friendliness to it. Happy Fall ~Jen

Mamaw Bee said...

I adore your home. I decorate with the same thoughts as you do. As long as I like it, it will go together. I used to be one of those no stripes with dots and no flowers with stripes. But I have found that the more eclectic the better. Your house is a home, you can tell that a lot of love lives there. Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Gina said...

Oh Leslie, I am so happy you shared your home with us! I love it...it's cozy, it's inviting, it really is everything that a home should be!

Sarah B said...

I think it would be difficult for me to visit your home and hold a decent conversation with you - I'd be too busy looking around at all the amazing things in your super homey home :)

The Boston Lady said...

This was fun and you have done a great job of creating your home over the years. I HAVE to know what is up those stairs! Neat! Ann

Barbara F. said...

What a charming home, filled with warmth and love and the things you love best. All you need. xo

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

You have a very inviting home! Always great fun no matter what the season:@)

Debbie said...

Oh Leslie, what a wonderful tour! Your house is just lovely and inviting. Thanks for showing us around!

Kelly said...

I love your porch and I really love your kitchen over the seasons and years. It does look like a home with good memories.
Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

Mimi Sue said...

Your cute home is so warm and cozy. Love your little doggies. Mimi

Chris said...

Thank you for the lovely tour. You have made a wonderful home and such a cozy place.
Hugs to you and the pups!

Coastalpines said...

Thank you for the tour of your lovely home! I love old homes and yours looks so warm and inviting. I'm with you on the Halloween decorations, the more the better!

Lisa said...

What a cute house! I love to check out other people's houses and yours looks so comfortable & lived in!

Melinda said...

Thanks for the tour! Looks very festive for your favorite holiday!

M :)

Mica Garbarino said...

sorry about the confusion when the feature would take place...it is finally up. Thanks again for sharing your home sweet home Leslie!!!! Hugs, Mica

Melanie said...

Loved this!!!!! I just love your house and all the personal touches you have put on things (like the lighthouse). :)

Maple Lane said...

Hello Leslie, How I enjoyed seeing your home. It is so warm and cozy and you really have a knack for decorating in every season. Truly, a very enjoyable post. Wish I lived next door to you!!!

Brandi said...

Your have a beautiful home, Leslie. Thank you for taking me along for the tour.

Mila Myk said...

So cozy! Your Christmas decor is beautiful-reminds me of vintage, painted Christmas postcards :)
And what a cute little,fluffy faces you have by your side:-D
The monster mash is terrifying! I would drop dead if I saw this creatures in my living room in the middle of the night :-D
xx
Mila
milawayable@gmail.com