Monday, October 22, 2012

The 10 days of Halloween ~ A trip to Salem


Day 10 ~

Salem Massachusetts.

The leaves were changing, the weather was beautiful, and
 the cobble stone streets were bustling with people , little ghouls and princesses.
This weekend was the perfect weekend to be in Salem.


Since I have never been to this town before,
I took a billion pictures.
Hope that you are ready..








Tucked in behind the vendors in the square is the old town hall.. (the building to the right) and it was once waterfront property.




Our favorite part of the trip was visiting the Old Burying Point.
I could have spent the whole day here looking at these grave stones.

The Burying Point  is the second oldest recorded  burial ground in the United States. Interred within it are such notable figures as Samual McIntire, Giles Cory's second wife, Lt. Col. John Hathorn Esq.; better known as "the hanging judge" (the one judge who never repented for his actions during the hysteria), many influential members of the Freemasons, and a passenger on the Mayflower. Several notable figures involved in the Salem Witch Trials can also be found buried here.







Beware, not only is the grave site claimed to be haunted
but you also may find a real witch wondering around these sacred grounds.


We'd better run...
We don't want her casting any evil spells on us!







  This is The Pickman House, one of Salem's oldest buildings.
The house was built in 1664 for Samual pickman.   One story tells of a husband and wife who lived in the house with a young daughter of 7 years old. The 'demons' were believed to have caused the husband to go insane, chaining his daughter up in the attic, torturing and starving the child. He then tied his wife to a tree outside and killed her by pouring hot wax over her body, leaving her to die a slow, painful death. He then fled, leaving the child who died in the attic, and his waxed, dead wife tied to the tree.

To this day,  there are claims that the Pickman house is haunted. 

 people have claimed to see a face and a flickering candle light  in the upstairs window..
 Perhaps  the ghost wife or daughter of Samuel Pickman.
Creeeeepy!!
Wouldn't it be awesome to spend the night in this house!!






The Witch Memorial

In 1692, 14 women and 6 men were accused of being witches, were tried, convicted, and executed. Executions took place on June 10, July 19, August 19, September 19 and September 22, 1692.

( Even 2 dogs were accused of witchery and were hung)














It is such a beautiful memorial.



Speaking of witch's...



This is Karen and I ~  Aren't our hats adorable.
We met on the catholic school parking lot 17 years ago when our 21yr olds were in Kindergarten and we've been good friends ever since!

Karen will kill me if she reads this... 
  but at the young age of 45 she still remains one of the most beautiful , nicest women that I have ever met!!
I am so happy that we finally got a chance to do a little trip together. 
although..  I don't think that she likes my driving skills..
Hey... I was just trying to fit in with those crazy drivers in Boston!

Isn't this port pretty...  I instantly thought of the Boston Tea Party!


This is the old customs building


.. and more beautiful homes







I took this picture for my blog friend Lynn and her pig Earl
~  Welcome to "In a Pigs Eye" restaurant.


And check these crazy Halloween decorations.



Look at this groovy guy..



Watch him...

Keep watching...

Holy Halloween goodness..  He throws up!!!

I LOVE IT!!


This one is pretty gruesome.. 






Here are a few more gorgeous homes


Here is my house!

.... so I wish!!








The house of the Seven Gables

The House of the Seven Gables was built by a Salem sea captain and merchant named John Turner in 1668 and occupied by three generations of the Turner family before being sold to Captain Samuel Ingersoll in 1782. An active captain during the Great Age of Sail, Ingersoll died at sea leaving the property to his daughter Susanna, a cousin of famed author Nathaniel Hawthorne. Hawthorne's visits to his cousin's home are credited with inspiring the setting and title of his 1851 novel The House of the Seven Gables.


 


Here is the house in 1915



The house is claimed to be cursed..  sure looks scary enough!











The only structure still standing in Salem with direct ties to the 1692 Salem Witch Trials.
It was the actual home of Sheriff Corwin who convicted the accused witches.







Once the sun set we took a fun "Ghosts and Legends" trolley tour of Salem.



Our tour guide was hauntingly funny!


We finished our Salem trip with a  fun late night candle lit ghost tour of the town, where our tour guide pointed out all of the haunted houses and told us about their chilling history.





Let me just tell you...  these witches were exhausted!!!

We hopped on our broomstick to head home


But there was a problem with air space and homeland security
so we traded in our broomstick for a comfy seat on a plane.



Goodbye Boston!


It was an amazing trip with an amazing friend,
and although we were only gone for about 24 hours,  I was happy to get home and see my family.



Hope that you all enjoyed the photos
Have a great Monday!!!!
xo


21 comments:

Karen said...

This is a great post. I love all the pictures, especially the historic houses and the one of the two of you in witch costumes. It looks like you had a ball! (I have a friend who I met when our 23-year-olds were in Catholic school kindergarten. . . there's nothing like it. She remembers things about my kids growing up that I've forgotten and vice versa).

Barbara F. said...

What a fun post, I have to get to Salem some time, especially since it can be done in 24 hours! xo

Lilly said...

Oh wow, looks like you had heaps of fun! I'm hoping to visit Salem on my trip next year, I've always been intrigued by it's history.

Tami said...

I've been to Boston but not Salem. It looks like a great place to visit! I have to tell my husband it's on our summer vacation list next year. Thanks for all the pictures you took. What a trip to remember!

Lisa said...

I would have wanted to explore that cemetery all day, too! I love the wall with the memorials to those who were hung - very unusual!
What a great trip!

Debbie said...

What a fun time Leslie! Thank you for all the pictures. I haven't been there and now I want to go!

Deborah said...

Salem is one of our hidden jewels in MA. It's a wonderful city and your pictures of it are wonderful.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

This is so great to see. I would love to go there at Halloween time! You should read The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry - it is set it Salem and she talks about all those places. It is one of my fav books :-)

Formerly known as Frau said...

Great pictures and such a cool place......I want to go sometime for sure.

Gina said...

Looks like you had a great time! I don't think there could be a more appropriate place for the Halloween Queen that you are!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like you had a spookingly good weekend! Glad you got to visit a place you've always wanted to go to. Earl's thinking that looks like a nice vegetarian restaurant... Let's just go with it:@)

Katharine said...

What a fun trip! So glad you were able to do so many frightfully good things!Love the pictures, how perfect that you were there right before your favorite holiday!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Wow Leslie! What a great post! How lucky are you visit Salem? I love Massachusettes...it's so pretty! Thanks so much for ALL the great photos with the history... how interesting! There is SO much history in Salem! Happy Halloween! Angie xo

Naila Moon said...

What fun you had!
~Naila Moon

http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/10/day-22brains.html

All That Glitters said...

How cool!! I have always wanted to go there!!! Awesome pics!

Angela said...

great photos of some beautiful old homes/bldgs!

Sarah B said...

So interesting Leslie! I can't believe 2 dogs were accused of witchery! That's crazy. Such a lovely looking town, though no, I couldn't stay in any of those spooky buildings!

Chris said...

OMG! All that in 24 hours!! Have you recovered yet?
Isn't Salem fabulous?
Thanks for sharing. What wonderful memoried you have.

Melanie said...

Love love love the pics! I *need* get up there stat to roam around, maybe even this week. You've inspired me to go. It's been so long and I forgot how much I love it until I saw your pics. It really is a special town, with SO much history.

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Interesting. I love the History of places like that!
I'd love to see it.
Pat

Michelle said...

Loved the virtual tour -- I doubt I'll ever manage to drag hubby there, so it was neat to see online!