Saturday, September 22, 2012

Where I come from..


 

“The hero draws inspiration from the virtue of his ancestors.”  


David and Lydia are my grandmothers great great grandparents.




Days before she passed away 10 years ago,  My grandma give me this family tree that dates back to 1801.
With so much going on at the time,  I brought the papers home and put them in a safe place (lost) and forgot about them.

I found them recently and I can't tell you the pleasure of reading and researching these names have brought me.

(I just finished adding to the tree and my girls make the 7th generation.)

Having no close family left,  I often wonder who I am like,  where I came from,  and this simple piece of paper brought me a true sense of belonging.
On the outside,  I am a small lone tree reaching for the sky.
My branches hover over my daughters and my husband offering love and protection.
I sometimes bend and sway in the storm..
but below the surface, 
knowing that I have heritage deep in my roots,
 helps to keep me strong and sturdy.

Getting to know these wonderful people and reading their stories
makes me want to be a better person.





Earl is my great grandpa,
He passed away 40 years ago..  just a month after I was born.




Ezry and Sallie were my grandmother's grandparents.
I am guessing that my grandma was named after her grandma.
And my Sally was named after my grandma..
That makes me happy! 


This is my grandma and grandpa.
Two of the greatest loves of my life!


I contacted the cemetery where many of my grandma's ancestors are buried and they sent me the burial records and a map to find them.


One of the things on my fall bucket list is to visit the different cemeteries and pay my respects to the family who lived before me.



Today however, 
 was the perfect day to visit my grandparents cemetery.
We  brought them a fresh bouquet of fall flowers and brought a fresh loaf of bread for the geese.



I love their busy little feet.


Several grandparents had brought their grands out to feed the geese and ducks.
The kids excitement  was fun to watch!




This is truly one of my favorite ways to spend these beautiful fall days.
I hope that you all had a great Saturday too!!

Happy first day of Fall!
xo



 








12 comments:

Diane @ The Checkered Apple said...

What a great read today Leslie! I enjoyed reading about your family too!

Barbara F. said...

Those papers are so very special. I often go to the cemetery, and I always feel such peace when I leave. I am due to go, it is a bit of ride, about an hour and ten minutes, with good traffic. xo

Theresa said...

Beautiful place to be on this NEW FALL day:) I know you have wonderful memories of your ancestors! Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

Maple Lane said...

What a treasure you have found. A few years back, we searched and found relative's graves dating back to the late 1700's.

Debbie said...

Oh wow, I am so glad you found that family tree again! What fun to look back and see where you came from and who were your ancestors. I wish I had something the same. Have a great weekend!

It's me said...

Cherish the memories darling......happy sunday...love Ria...xxx...

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I love family history too Leslie and I love looking at family documents! You are so lucky that your Grandma shared that info with you...it is such a treasure! Happy Fall! Angie xo

Melinda said...

Great pictures.
Hopefully I am fixed!

M :)

Sarah B said...

Family history is so interesting - how great that you found your family tree. It's so much easier now with the internet to discover things about people from the past. Nice to add yourself and your family onto it too :)
xx

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow that is quite a bit of info....I'm really clueless about my family tree...I know my aunt has done all the research but seeing if lined out like that is really cool.

Melanie said...

What a treasure!!! I wouldn't even know where to begin to put something together like that, I have so few family members left. :(

Lee Ann said...

oh Leslie, that history is precious as are those moments spent with your girls xxx