Sunday, September 30, 2012

A little Fall tweaking and our favorite fall childrens books


I did some tweaking to the little corner of the bottom of the staircase.

This corner is a catch all!
 shoes, papers,  laundry baskets, jackets, dog toys.. 
 you name it, and it will easily find a home here.

Do you all have a space like that?

 The chalkboard was in need of some fall love.
There are a few of you crazy talented chalkboard writers that I would like to invite over to work your magic on mine..  but since you probably don't feel like driving to Maryland just to makeover my chalkboard.. I had to do it myself. 




I added the little white cabinet to the corner and topped it with pumpkins.
I didn't wait to put to much in that space..   with one husband, two daughters and three dogs,  a simple walk down the steps almost always turns into a stampede.


There is that orange and blue together again!



Did you see our little book basket?

With dog eared pages and tattered spines,
 our favorite fall books have been well used.

 

We have had  most of these books since Michelle was a little girl
and we've read them every single year.

Pumpkin soup is my girls favorite and is a sweet story about three friends,
a squirrel, a cat and a duck.. who have a fight and later make up.
The illustrations are the cutest!!!








Our New Neighbors  is my very favorite Halloween book!!!!

I read this to Michelle when she was a toddler.
She  used to love when I acted out the monster voices.


When Sally was little, Michelle and I would take turns reading verses to her.



And now..  The three of us take turns reading pages to each other.



I look forward to a book date this year,
In between Sally's high school studies and Michelle's busy schedule,
We will soften the lights,  light up the pumpkins, nibble on some chocolate chip cookies and read our favorite Fall stories to each other.

I can't wait!
I will always find enchantment and joy in those little moments.



 Have a Happy Sunday!!!!
Thanks you for visiting.

16 comments:

Theresa said...

Love your corner and yes, I have a catch-all place too:) Love those memories of reading to the littles who aren't so little anymore! Have a blessed Sunday, HUGS!

It's me said...

Always so nice to see each year your halloween things......hahahahah!!..lovely sunday...xxx...Ria...

Deb said...

I laughed when I saw your chalk-board as I did something similar in the dining-room. Love it. Sweet post and you do have some great children's books. Deb

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I saved all the Halloween books too and I put them out in a basket. They bring back such wonderful memories :-)

Katharine said...

Love your chalkboard, and that blue and orange combo... What a lovely idea, the fall reading night with your sweet girls! Enjoy!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is the perfect little space to "Fall UP"! I think I have catch all places in every corner of my house...shhhh!

Pumpkin Soup sounds familiar. We used to read stories to Emily about monsters not being real as she was always afraid to sleep in her own room. These books would have definitely set her back. You have a great tradition going with your girls...I love it!

XO,
Jane

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Love the corner, love the chalkboard and love that card. You are so creative.

It's Just Dottie said...

I have so many of the same books.

I think you can do almost everything and you do it so very well! I am amazed!!!

Smiles, Dottie

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Pumpkin soup and pumpkin pie... they sound like books I would love! It's really sweet that you all still get together to spend the evening reading the books. Your chalkboard looks great:@)

Gina said...

I love your chalkboard art! I think it looks great. Your chalkboard is pretty cool too. I love that it has that little ledge above it for displaying stuff.

I was so excited to see your reading basket. I have one too and no matter how old my kids get, we still like reading those old books again & again for each holiday. Fun memories that still live on, right?

Linda said...

I love, love blue and orange together...my house is mostly blue and cream...and the oranges in the Fall decor looks wonderful...I am inspired every year to add a little orange to my blues...of course orange IS my all time favorite color! Love the basket of books...how I miss those days reading with my boys!Have a great evening!!

Sarah B said...

I love that you read the story books together - such a lovely tradtition!

Melinda said...

Fall festiveness at your house!

Love the books! I buy kids books ALL the time--it's great! School helps with this too.

Have fun!

M :)

Formerly known as Frau said...

Just love your house! My birthday is the day before halloween...so I received tons of books growing up and always halloween birthday cards and cake and parties...I'm not complaining....really! I wonder where my books are???

Naila Moon said...

Fun, fun, FUN!
I think all of us have those spots.
I am a new follower. Come on by.
~Naila Moon

Ps> going to follow you on Pinterest too. :)

http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/10/october-2craftiness.html

Martina said...

Room On The Broom is one of my daughters favorites.
Love the way you have your house decorated!