Monday, August 13, 2012

Drivers.. start your engines


I knew this would happen.
We went away for a great weekend
and as soon as we walked in the door to home
I started feeling the end of summer crunch.

Not gonna think about it.
I am just going to enjoy my coffee and tell y'all about the first stop on a great weekend trip.

...  And thank you all for the good wishes, 
I am feeling somewhat better.
I'm pretty sure that I have a sinus infection that's been giving me a doozy of a headache.
Going to the doctor for it next week.

Ok,  so off to the first stop.

Dover international speedway.
Otherwise known as The Monster Mile

Back in May, for Paul's 50th Birthday,
The girls and I gave him the gift of Monster racing driving school.
As a long time Nascar fan,
this is something that he has always dreamed of doing.


There were no crowds, concessions, or traffic..
we were only greeted by Miles the monster.


Now that we were inside of the track
Paul had to sign in and pick up his credentials.

These empty grandstands look so strange.


This part was a lot of fun..
Separate vans picked up the drivers and spectators.
The drivers were schooled in the first van
and at a speed of 60 miles per hour around the track,
we were given the grand tour in the second.
It was way to cool!!!


The drivers got suited up and had a drivers meeting.


Just as they were getting ready to drive,
the storm clouds rolled in and it started to rain.


Every racecar driver has had a rain delay at some point of their career.
It showered for about 15 minutes and then the sky cleared.

They dried the track just as they do during a normal race
by driving the cars and vans around it to heat up the pavement.


Paul waited patiently,  making new friends.. as he always does.


 it was finally time to go.


He was so excited and happy
that I couldn't stop smiling!



Strapped in.


Helmet on and steering wheel in place.


A few final touches from his "crew chief"
and it was time..

"Start your engines!!"


and off he went!!


On a scale of 1 to 10 great experiences
I think that this may have been a 10!


It was awesome to watch him race around the track.
Was I nervous..  No!
This guy is a natural.

 

 The car was flying and hard to control around the banked turns
but once he got the hang of it there was no holding back.


Past the finish line and down pit road,
Paul was awarded a big thumbs up from one of his best girls!


The car that he was driving was originally Mark Martin's Winn Dixie Nationwide car.



 handshakes and high fives from the team..


Of course,  he can not wait to do it again!!


It was truly a great gift and an awesome experience for all of us.

The people at Monster racing were great
~ if you are ever near Dover, and wanna try a race car,
Give these great folks a call.


Hope that you all enjoyed our first stop on our mini vacation.
I will be back with part two soon
~ first though,  I need to do some catching with you all.
Have a great Monday everyone.

13 comments:

Brandi said...

Such a sweet birthday gift you and the girls gave your husband. I bet he will cherish that experience for many years to come.

PS. Love the new look of your blog!

Theresa said...

Be still my heart:) I know that was loads of fun! Great gift and it sure looks like he enjoyed it! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Mamaw Bee said...

What an awesome gift. He is truly blessed to have such a loving family. That sounds like it was a blast.

Fiona said...

Looks like Paul had a fantastic day!

What a thoughtful birthday gift
I am so glad he enjoyed it.

x

Barbara F. said...

I know a couple of folks who would love to do this! (me included!). What a great gift and happy memories. xo

Melanie said...

Totally totally awesome!!!!!! That's one of my favorite tracks too.

Gina said...

What a fun experience this had to be for your husband! Don't you love giving a gift that so awesome, you can't help but smile yourself?

Sarah B said...

I'm so pleased the rain didn't wreck Paul's day. How exciting it must have been. Lyndon would absolutely love to do that!
x

Melinda said...

Oh, how fun for Paul! Mr. Ken would love to do this.

One day maybe.

M :)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

That looks like a lot of fun! Any NASCAR fan would be in heaven-great gift:@)

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I have been "under the weather" too...hope you are on the road to recovery! Happy Birthday to your hubby!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

How exciting. I am a big Nascar fan. You had rain? I am so jealous. So hot here.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow what a cool experience and his smile is priceless! Glad you are feeling a little better!