Monday, August 20, 2012

Dishing up chatter and Hot Crunchy Chicken Salad


The temperature is in the upper 60's.
The opened windows that allowed the earlier hum of locust to flow in with the breeze
is now bringing in the chatter of the evening rain.
It's a peaceful noise.
Especially on days like these when I am feeling anxious and am sweating the small stuff.

The Fall feeling is in the air and I smile.
As much as I hate the start of school
there is something comforting about packing school lunches and folding clean school uniforms.
 It makes me want to nest.



On Friday,
Sally will venture through the halls of high school for the first time
while Paul, Michelle and I sit home nervously biting our fingernails.
This begins yet another new era in our lives,
one that I am not quite ready to say hello to.

Time sure goes by fast.

This week makes 7 years since Paul's father passed away.
Seven whole years since our lives changed forever.
I was close to my father in law, 
I loved that man as much as any girl would love her father.
He and I shared many good times together,
much of which we sang along to old country music and did maintenance to our old house.
He taught me many tricks of the trade, he read my blog,  he drove me to the store when I didn't drive, he made me laugh,  he hollered at me for rearranging the furniture to much,
and most of all,  he showed me a fathers love way beyond any that I had ever known.
For that, I am eternally grateful.




Vacations have ended, the beach towels are put away
and I have finally cooked a decent meal.
We have been so incredibly good-busy with beaches and boats
that I have hardly cooked in the past few weeks.
It felt good to get into the kitchen again.


Crunchy hot Chicken Salad

6 t. butter, divided
1 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. diced green pepper
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 to 3 teaspoons of diced pimentos
4 oz can of sliced mushrooms, drained
2 1/4 pkg of slivered almonds
4 c. cooked chicken
1 c. mayo
10 3/4 can of cream of celery
1 tsp salt
1 c. crushed corn flake cereal

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skilled over medium heat.  Add vegetables and almonds. Saute' until tender; spoon into an ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish.  Add chicken, mayo, soup and salt; mix well.  Melt remaining butter and toss with cereal; sprinkle over top.
Bake at 350' for 30 mins
makes 10 servings

Served over toast or rice ~  it is Divine!
Even Michelle dived in for seconds!


As soon as the weather where you are is cool enough for baking
~ you gotta try this easy and delicious dinner!

Hope that you all have a wonderful and calm Tuesday.
Stay cool.

xo



41 comments:

Kathryn D. Duke said...

this hot chicken salad looks delicious.....I will have to give it a try.

Bless you sweet little one as she enters HS!!!

Barbara F. said...

Wow, Lesley, your background really pops! This warm chicken salad looks delicious and great for a potluck or take-along dish. Have to try it. xo

Debbie said...

That chicken salad looks delicious! Fall is in the air here as well....where did the summer go?

Gina said...

My daughter is on her way to high school too, so I feel your anxiety!

Delicious looking chicken salad!

It's me said...

Thinking of you these week darling.....love from me....it is almost 7 years my brother died....love from me...xxx...

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds like a great dinner! I've been enjoying the milder weather too, hope it keeps up:@)

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Chris said...

Lovely post Leslie.
I hope the girls have a wonderful school year.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Leslie I feel your pain...hard not to worry as a mother. I'm sure Sally will thrive in her new school. I'm sorry about Paul's father seven years and I'm happy the memories are still strong in your heart. Extra ((hugs)) to you all.

Mamaw Bee said...

It is wonderful to have such great memories of your father-in-law. I am not a big fan of chicken salad but must admit that your recipe makes me want to try it. Looks delicious.

Ana said...

Oh Leslie,
You made me tear up with the beautiful words you wrote about your father-in-law. So sweet. I bet you miss him a lot :-( Sending you a great big hug my friend.

❤Ana

84829942-3a88-11e0-83da-000bcdcb5194 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie Harward said...

That comment above was weird for sure! LOL Hey, thanks for your visit, I am not blogging as much but love your visits. Great post, love the way you express things! The recipe looks so so good, thanks! Our loved ones go on for sure and are busy and happy...we miss them, I know, me too. One day we will all be together again and what joy that will be. :)

Leslie said...

lol..yeah, that guy really dislikes american women. weido.

Melinda said...

It is a tough time of year--but I am sure that Sally will take to high school just fine.
Now if I could just take my own advice about change. :)
Sounds like Paul's Dad was agreat man--lucky for you that he was in your life.

Take care.

M :)

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

I am sure Sally will do fine! I think it's harder on us with all the anxiety and anticipation. Mine is heading to Grade 11 this fall..I can't believe it! What a nice tribute to your FIL Leslie! Beautiful post! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

Jann Olson said...

Oh I do want to try this. Sounds like something hubby and I would love. Still waiting for rain here. Cooling down slightly but still warm. Leaves are showing slight changes in the mountains and Fall will be here soon. enjoy these years. They will be gone in a blink of the eye.
Hugs,
Jann

Pink Chai Raj said...

What a beautiful post. I'm also looking forward to September for the routine of back to school, but my youngest is going to Kindergarten so it's a little bittersweet for me.

Looking forward to trying the chicken salad recipe!

Raj
Pink Chai Style

Katharine said...

Hope Sally's first week went well! Yum! It's cool enough here to bake!!

Maple Lane said...

Hi Leslie, What a loving tribute to your fil. The chicken salad sounds wonderful. It's been almost too hot to be in the kitchen up until this week.
Hope you have a good weekend.