Monday, August 6, 2012

Apple Cake and Ice Cream


You know how it is when you wake up with something important on your mind?
Bills, laundry, school, stinky dogs...
That's how it was yesterday,
I woke up and thought...
Apple Cake!

Important stuff..

 you know!

I love mornings like that..  when I am inspired to do something outside of the normal.
I sliced the apples and put the cake in the oven,
Then with a satisfied easy feeling,
 I sat outside sipping my coffee watching the little visitors play in the front yard.


I just want to kiss that sweet little face!!!


A little old lady walked past as I was snapping pictures of the bunnies.
She stopped to admire them and said ...
 I don't see many rabbits anymore..  and when I do, I see them as a blessing from God. 
You have double blessings, God must be watching over you.

Her sweet words made me smile,
And I remembered to be thankful for those little blessings that I take for granted.



Just look at that cute little cotton tail !!


After watching the bunnies munching for about an hour
I came inside to finish up the cake.

The house smelled delicious!


And the cake tasted even better then it smelled.




Fresh Apple Cake


Cake

2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups veggie oil
1/2 cup of orange juice  ( I didn't have any so I used a 1/2 cup of apple sauce instead.)
3 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon ( I used a lot more)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts of your choice
2 1/2 cups of peeled, diced apples ~ about 4 apples

Glaze

1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar

( Cook on stove top for about 10 mins until it is a blended caramel. )

Preheat over to 325' .. grease bundt pan with crisco and flour.
Mix eggs, oil and sugar until smooth..  add Orange juice ( or apple sauce) and mix well.
Mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon ~  add to egg mixture and beat.  Add vanilla. 
Stir in apples and nuts.   Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 1:30.   Remove cake from oven, let cool, then turn onto cake plate.

Make glaze (above)

Punch holes into cake and pour glaze over it.  Let cool before serving.   Refrigerate.





And what is better then fresh yummy apple cake?
Apple cake with homemade vanilla ice cream of course!!


Vanilla Ice Cream

1  14 oz can of sweet condensed milk
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
1 /2 cup of milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tablespoon vanilla

Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.

In a separate bowl mix milk, sweet condensed milk, salt and vanilla.
Add mixture to whipped cream and gently mix.

Pour into freezer bowl, cover and freeze for 2 hours ~ stir once ~ put in freezer until frozen.

Delicious!

Cake dish label how to:


Spray the glass of a small frame with chalk board paint,
put frame together and hot glue jute to the back.
Simple as that!!!


I hope that everyone had a fabulous weekend
and a great new week filled with little blessings.

xo

Linking up and chilling out with :

And

21 comments:

Brandi said...

Leslie your pictures look so good. Your cake and ice cream are calling my name. I will definitely try your recipes soon.

Barbara F. said...

Save me a slice and a scoop, please! I'll be there as fast as I can!! xo

Deb said...

That does look delish. I love anything apple. Deb

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

That is the sweetest story. I bet your house smelled like fall. It is so hot here this week I cannot bare to hardly cook.

Mica said...

This is somethin' I am gonna have to amke this Fall....looks delish. Love the bunnies. Have a great week...Mica @ The Child's Paper

Sarah B said...

Bunnies are such cute creatures! Your cake and icecream looks delicious. I cooked a banana cake today and despite using a non-stick pan that I sprayed with cooking spray, the bottom stuck and the cake fell apart. Bummer.
Enjoy the rest of your week x

It's me said...

I wish i could smell it !! delicious !!..oh sweet bunny's...lovely day...love Ria...xxx...

Maple Lane said...

This cake looks so moist and delicious. It would be wonderful with coffee for breakfast! Thanks so much for the how-to on the chalkboard frame. That is adorable!
My little great niece loves to watch the bunnies. You captured some sweet photos.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sooo wish I had a big ole piece of that cake right now to go with my coffee! Who says you can't eat cake for breakfast??? Cute chalkboard sign, I noticed it right away:@)

Phyllis said...

This post is wonderful in so many ways...I love the double blessings, I love Fresh Apple Cake and I love the little chalkboard label. Oh, so wonderful!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Awesome shots and yummy cake and ice cream...I want some now...totally acceptable breakfast right! Bunnies are so cute....we have a lot my first thought is there they are the ones eating all my flowers!! Blessing for you garden destroyers for me. lol cute though! Happy Tuesday!

Blondie's Journal said...

What a sweet, sweet post! I have to try the cake when apples are in season...perfect for fall! The bunnies are so cute and looked happy to pose for you! ;-D

XO,
Jane

Lilly said...

I love the cake dish label, so cute! And that cake looks yummy, I'll have to try and make it one day! Enjoy your week! :)

Katharine said...

Yum! That cake looks delish. We have bunnies in our yard as well, but I have never heard that sweet little story! Your pictures are beautiful!

Melinda said...

Aren't they cute? Theya re soooo fun to watch.

I bet that cake was good!

M :)

Melanie said...

You are off the hook with the great photos lately! I think *I* love your new camera too. lol

Ana said...

Yummy...That apple cake looks absolutely delish. And how cute are those bunnies. Sounds like a day filled with sweet and tasty blessings:-)

Hugs and Kisses,
❤Ana

Honey at 2805 said...

Adorable bunny pictures! Thanks for sharing your recipes! Looks yummy!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The bunnies sure are sweet! We see them in our neighborhood in the evenings when we ride our bikes!

Karen said...

We have bunnies in our neighborhood, too. I love what the woman said. I printed out your recipes and can't wait to try them!

Jann Olson said...

Yum, this cake sounds so good. I bet your house smelled delish! My daughter was telling me about a homemade ice cream recipe with Sweetened Condensed Milk. I can imagine how wonderful. I must try it. I would love to have bunnies in my yard. I had them as pets growing up. Truly they are a special blessing from God.
Hugs,
Jann