Monday, July 16, 2012

A Trip to the Smithsonian

Happy Tuesday Friends. 
Somehow,  I let the weekend slip past without posting ...
It's been one of those weeks.

We can check another event off of our summer bucket list since the girls and I spent yesterday learning all kinds of cool things at the Smithsonian natural History Museum in DC.


The first thing that we saw when we walked in were these awesome totem poles, 
the thing on the bottom reminded us of Darla.

\

I loved the Ocean exhibit.  
Creatures of the sea fascinate me!


This Jellyfish reminded me of some cute snacks that I have been wanting to make.



Jellyfish hotdogs.


Too cute!


This giant squid however..  is not so cute!



Can you imagine finding one of these awesome shells on the beach..


There were just to many cool things to look at.













The dinosaur fossil exhibit was the reason we went ~ 


And it was extraordinary!!!






I still find it hard to believe that these creatures actually roamed our earth.


My pretty girls ~   Michelle used to want to be a Paleontologist when she was little.
I still think that she should study archeology.


This is a creature from the Ice Age.


... and some cavemen.


The Forensic exhibit was very cool.

These are the old skulls of a 15, 30 and 60 year old


The skeleton of human and dog,
Sally and I named it..
"Sally and Sharky"


As we were touring the mines and minerals we saw beautiful crystals and gem stones.
We also saw the capsule used to rescue the trapped Chilean coal miners in 2010.
What an amazing story of survival!!


There were so many fun things to see..
by the time we had toured the whole museum we were exausted!


Peace out!!

What a great summer this has been!
Today,  we are heading out on the boat for some R&R,
there are still a ton of house projects that need finishing..
lots of things yet to do on our summer bucket list..
but nothing beats a warm July day out on the water!

Have a great day everyone!!!!!



16 comments:

It's me said...

Please sent some summer to Holland......we have no sun for days now...only rain.......love Ria...xxx..

Melinda said...

Lets find a way to trade some of our weather with Holland!

Looks like a great place-one I'd like to see one day.

Stay cool.

:)

Lilly said...

Oh wow! I am so jealous! Looks like you had lots of fun and saw a heap of interesting things. I would love to visit the Smithsonian one day, maybe I will on my US trip next year. Have a still wonderful summer!

Lee Ann said...

Sounds fabulous. We never actually got our list written but we are still having a ton of fun! It's just going so fast x

Ana said...

Oh my goodness Leslie...To be able to one day visit The Smithsonian would be totally awsome. We love museums. So much to see and learn. Thanks for sharing all those great pics. Sounds like you and your girls had a great time and like you are having one awesome summer.

Hugs and Kisses,
❤Ana

Theresa said...

What a fun day!!! I wanna go there again:). Have a blessed rest of the week! Thanks for visiting me!! Hugs

Freckled Hen said...

Looks like you had a great day, so much to see!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Looks like a great visit...that is one thing we didn't do when we were in DC needed more time....next time. Enjoy the R&R....Happy Wednesday!

The Boston Lady said...

The Smithsonian museums are just simply magnificent. This brought back memories to me of our trip there in 2002. DC is such a treasure, with plenty to do without having to spend a lot. Now I want to go back! Ann

Mica said...

oh wow, what a fun trip that must have been. I love the skelly man and his dog, that gave me a good giggle. Someday I hopre to see that Mueseum....I am sorta stuck over on the West coast. thanks for giving us a glimpse of the Smithsonian! Mica @ The Child's Paper

Brandi said...

Glad you and your family enjoyed your day at the Smithsonian. I can remember visiting there on a school trip. Such a neat place to visit.

Melanie said...

Great photos!!! I love that museum. :)

Darjeeling Darlings said...

Looks like ya'll had a blast. It is a great place to beat the heat!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

You are having a fantastic summer Leslie! I love all of the day trips you are sharing! Great picture of your girls! have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

Debbie said...

Looks like a great time! Love the exhibits. Thanks for sharing so many pictures.

Jemm said...

Makes me want to go back! We didn't leave on our vacation until the 16th, so we weren't there at the same time :(