Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lampshade makeover

I can't wait to show Y'all this!!!!

I just love it when I have a crafty idea
and it works out!!

We all know that  that doesn't always happen.
I have had some serious Craftastrophies!!

I saw an idea on A Few Pennies blog,  where Patty covered a lampshade with a burlap feed sack and since I've been hoarding lamps and shades from the thrift shops  ~   I just had to try it!


This pink shade cost $2.00


Since, I don't have any feed sacks! 
The first thing that popped in my mind are those sacks that Paul's holiday country hams come in. 
He must have 15 of these bags that he has saved.

So I snagged a few.



When I tested the fabric over the shade I could still see a pink hue .. 
I broke out the handy craft paints and give it a quick coat of cream.


Then it was off to the fun part..
Just using some spray adhesive, I sprayed little sections at a time until I had the whole shade wrapped .
I smoothed out the wrinkles with my fingers as I went along.


I cut the access fabric, leaving just enough to glue and tuck around the edges.

I am still working on adding trim ( leftover seems from the bag) to the top and bottom of the shade
and I was thinking about adding an embellishment ~ but I am not sure yet.

I feel like a 5th grader.. jumping up and down in her seat..
"Look at it.  Look at it.  Look what I did!!!!"


Isn't it awesome!!!

I will finish it up later and show you the completed lamp a.s.a.p.

Gotta go...  Gonna be late for work!!!!

Have a great Wednesday!


17 comments:

Brandi said...

Awesome indeed and very creative!

Theresa said...

Great job! Makes me hungry:) Have a blessed Wednesday, HUGS!

Lilly said...

I must admit when I saw the feedsacks I was a bit sceptic and didn't think I would turn out very nice, but that looks great!! Makes me think of western movies :P

Katharine said...

Wow, that is awesome! way to go!

Gina said...

Your lampshade turned out fantastic, Leslie. Very creative!

Jemm said...

Very cool Leslie! I know just how you feel :)

The Boston Lady said...

What a great idea! Can't wait to see the whole thing. Ann

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow love it!

Melinda said...

Looks great!

M :)

It's me said...

So nice !!...love from me...xxx..

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I'd say that's a Pig Alert! It turned out cute, I'll bet Paul loved it too:@)

Mica said...

That is awesome...great upcycle! And looks way better than the pink in my opinion! Mica @ The Child's Paper

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

ah! don't you love smithfield's ham?... Just kidding. ;)

I love your lamp! I did one similar last year sometime...mine was a planter's peanut sack!

I like how each burlap or grainsack shade is unique and individual. I don't think I've ever seen two alike!

I'd be jumping up and down like a kid too!
Pat

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

It is awesome! I love the graphics on it! Fabulous job Leslie! Angie xo

Debbie said...

Love, love, love that!!! Great idea!

Alwayzbakin said...

Very cool! Love it. ;)

Melanie said...

Totally awesome!!!!