Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I "heart" Seashells


I am truly savoring summer this year
and as much as I love and look forward to fall,
I am making the most of this awesome summer season.

I just don't want it to end!

Nothing defines summer to the spoonful family like our days on the boat
and I love to fill our house with little mementos of those great days spent chilling on the beach.

Some days, I think that Paul must think that I am silly...
sitting in at the waters edge, bathing suit covered in sand as I very childlike, dig for seashells.
More seashells!
I don't know what it is about seashells..  but I love them.

Last night,  I got an idea of how to display some of them
and I am excited to show you what I did.

Project time!!



Among a thousand other things,
I had this old frame sitting around, collecting dust in the attic.

There is so much stuff up there that it's almost fun climbing over the piles of quilts and bags of winter clothes and half used paint cans..
I feel like Indiana Jones entering the Temple Of Doom.
and that's just to get up the steps.


Someday I will get it all organised again and take you all up there.
It's the coolest space in this house!!

Anyway.. 
I brought the frame down and painted it blue.


Since I needed a hard surface,  I left the glass in, brushed some glue over it


and added some pretty paper.


I dry brushed cream and brown over the blue paint.


Then it was time to arrange the shells.
Since I love Seashells..
what better to make then a heart!


I just laid them in place without glue..


And then poured epoxy over the whole thing.


I knew that the epoxy would bring out the natural colors.


I feel so nostalgic when I see these tiny shells.


After letting it dry overnight
this is the final result.


Now,  I just need to figure out where I am going to put it! 


Have a great day everyone.

I am off to find a home for my new seashell picture.

Linking up with Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
and Embracing Change's Creative inspirations.

20 comments:

Katharine said...

Awesome! what a wonderful idea! (I love looking for shells too, can't wait to get to the ocean!) Well done, hope you found the perfect spot!

Mo 'Betta said...

That is so awesome!

Debbie said...

It looks wonderful Leslie! The epoxy really, really made a difference to the colors in the shells. Love, love, love it!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow you always amaze me....turned out awesome! Love it!

Brandi said...

Such a sweet way to remember your days at the beach. The epoxy really makes it shine. Beautiful job, friend!

Mary @ Sea Quilts said...

I absolutely LOVE this. Loving all the shiny!

Thanks,
Mary

Laurel Stephens said...

I LOVE this shell art! I don't have a shell collection nor access to a lovely beach, but I bet I could buy some shells at the craft store to make this project. It's such perfect summer decor!

Barbara F. said...

Very, very creative! I'd love it in my kitchen for the summer or bathroom, too. Beautiful job. xo

Lilly said...

That looks lovely!! Great idea with the epoxy to get the natural colour showing, it looks amazing!

Mica said...

this is absolutly adorable and so cool. I love it...I love to comb beaches too. It's fun and takes ya back to childlike times. Those times I do feel kinda like a kid again. Thanks for sharing your awesome project! Mica

Maple Lane said...

I love how this turned out. The colors are gorgeous and such sweet memories of good summer days on the beach.

The Boston Lady said...

What a great idea! It turned out just beautifully. Ann

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! This is so pretty. It seems like it's a pretty simple process too.
Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your picture turned out cute! I love that the epoxy brought out the great color in the shells-enjoy:@)

Sharon said...

Your seashell creation is gorgeous! I love it!

Melinda said...

How pretty! Nifty way of doing this.

Can't wait to see where you hang it.

M :)

Ana said...

What a creative idea. It turned out awesome. And what a sweet reminder of your fun-filled summer days. Is epoxy hard to work with. I've always been curious to work with it. Enjoy every single beautiful moment left of this summer.

Hugs and Kisses,
❤Ana

Chris said...

Wow! What a great project. I hope that you have found the perfect place for it.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

This is so pretty - I love looking for shells too.
New follower and I will be reading :-)

Melanie said...

Very nice!!!!!!! I'm going to send this link to my mother too because she has a TON of sea shells from her beach walks that she is always looking to use up in craft ideas.