Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Maryland crabs + easy cream of crab recipe

I have been in the mood for steamed crabs!

Good ole old bay seasoned Maryland blue crabs.


If you've been to Maryland, then you know that we have the best steamed crabs in the world.
We Marylanders are a little crazy 'bout our crabs!


If you've never tried a crab
Try one ~ you'll love it.


Catching crabs is almost as fun as eating them.
When I was younger we would sit on the pier and catch crabs by tying chicken necks to a rope, hanging in the water until you felt a bite, then netting the crab up.


Paul and I used to do a lot of crabbing off of our boat.
We'd set up a trot line,  dropping a row of traps into the water .


It was always exciting pulling the traps out of the water..
Jackpot!!


Just be careful and don't let the crab catch you!
My toes and ankles should be used to it..  but they are not! 
It hurts!


Nowadays,  Paul and I cheat ~
Why buy our crabs already  caught and steamed.


Look at this little baby crab..   too cute!


I imagine that the first person to even think about eating a crab..
Must have been pretty darn hungry!!



Back to the Maryland crab craze..

We love crab everything..

Crab chips.
( having a bag of Crab Chips is essential when going out on the boat)


Crab pretzels.. 
So good!


An Easter tradition for a lot of Baltimore folks..
Crab dip.


Crab cakes
This is my favorite ~ the best crab cake in the whole world ~ a Koco's Crab cake.





There are crab statues all over our state.

Crazy crab lovers make these crab shell Christmas ornaments.


We have our very own crab Christmas carol.


Even our Chesapeake Bay Retrievers love crabs.

And this guy...   Sheeesh, he must love crabs!!


Me,  well..  I will just feed my crab craving with some yummy and very easy to make cream of crab soup.


Easy Cheater Cream of Crab Soup

A few stalks of celery, sliced
1 small onion diced
few green onions sliced

With a tbsp of butter,  Saute onions and celery in a large pot ~ 

2 Cans of cream of chicken soup
2 cans of cream of celery
2 cans of milk
1 can of water
pint or pound of crab claw or back fin crab meat.
( i used claw meat for the first time and it was great)
Crab seasoning to taste..  ( Old bay, etc)
Add above ingredients to pot of sauteed celery and onion

Cook for about an hour, stirring frequently..


Now..  eat up!!!


Happy Thursday friends.
xo

11 comments:

Maple Lane said...

My husband loves crab - I'll show him your interesting post and we'll save the recipes. Have a wonderful evening.

Country Dreaming said...

Sounds delish but Mr. Ken is allergic to shellfish. :(

Have a good one.

Melinda

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

Ooh I love crabs too. When I lived up in pa, we use to do Crisfield, MD for crabs, they were delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Miss Merry said...

It is over 90 degrees here at 9 p.m. and I am craving your soup! It sounds absolutely delicious. I have always wanted to visit Maine - I want to eat my way up and down the coast.

Debbie said...

Oooh, hubby will LOVE this recipe! He loves crab! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara F. said...

I love crab, all shellfish actually, and I am going to try this chowder recipe, when it cools down a bit! My parents went crabbing but I never did. I had a neighborhood who would give me blue crabs all cleaned and steamed when she and her husband caught them, they would catch dozens off his boat somewhere in NJ. Miss it. xo

It's Just Dottie said...

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast.
All of my family are fishermen,but crabs were always my grandmother's favorite and mine.
Smiles,
Dottie

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I have never fixed crabs, but have enjoyed them too--There's nothing like them, that's for sure...I think I need to take a trip to Baltimore now! :-)

Linda said...

Oh crab is our favorite...but its so expensive here...its a real treat!!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I'm not a big fan of crabs....sorry please still be my friend!! BUT I do like crab cakes....I like anything followed by cakes! Have a wonderful weekend!

Tammy Bocchino said...

Hi Leslie,

I love your thoughts and pictures on crabbing here in Maryland...as a newbee to Maryland I am learning to enjoy the many flavors of our famous crabs and loving it...my favorite so far...crab dip!! I think David would like for me to try your soup recipe..and you know me..I probably will!!