Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Subway art

 There is a first time for everything
and I've had a few firsts this week.

I am experiencing one as I sit in a comfy chair with my skinny mocha latte
 and suck up free Starbucks Wifi service.

Technically not free.. since the coffee costs about $5 bucks.

My Internet service is out and will not be restored/ replaced until Thursday.
Although the circumstances were somewhat stressful and it sucks being without Internet,
I am extremely happy and excited about getting a new network.
Maybe now, I can load photos for my blog in less then an hour.


Another first,
I finally made an attempt at making subway art. 

After rearranging the living room I needed wanted a little something different for one of the walls.

I started out with the $3 Renoir that I bought at the goodwill.
 ~ Lord I hope that it wasn't an original,  because I painted over the picture with white. 



Then I decided that I couldn't paint, stencil or freehand the words that I wanted
so i broke out the Cricut machine.
I haven't used this thing in over a year.
Why?
Because it makes a huge mess!



I taped white paper over the picture and used a pencil to plan out my pattern.



Then used the Cricut to cut different fonts and sized words.


Finally I glued them into place on the painted surface
and poured on some awesome EnviroTex finish.


And this is what I ended up with.


It is not perfect. 
In fact,  stupid me forgot that we are in a new year and put 2011 instead of 12. 
Ughhh!

There are many special things listed on there,
The numbers represent all of our ages this year.
and If you are wondering, 
 Hart Miller Island is the special place that we take our boat in the summer
and the Awesome 660 is the name of Paul's bike.

I like it.



Remember,  if you don't hear from me
I am suffering from internet withdraws.
Don't be mad.  : )

Hope you all have a fantastic week.
xo


16 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Well, have a fun week! Sometimes I think it would be nice to just shut it all down! You did a good job with your project, it look great! I love that you save Valentine cards, the post below was real cute. :D

Blondie's Journal said...

I love it, Leslie! You did a fabulous job, that was a lot of work! What a great keepsake this will be. I have often thought of making one with the names of the streets and parks around me as a little remembrance thing for the kids! Great job!

XO,
Jane

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Lovin' your new picture, it's great that it's so personal! Good luck with the internet issues... all this computer stuff can really be a pain sometimes:@)

Katharine said...

I love it! I think you did an awesome job. Sorry about your internet, but at least you get to hang out at Starbucks!

Lilly said...

That looks really cool!

Country Dreaming said...

It looks great!
Check your e-mail for my sddress.

Melinda

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Great project Leslie! I love it! I have scrapbooked pages before and put the wrong year on them too...if that makes you feel any better! Hope your week is going great...except for the lack of internet service! Angie xo

It's me said...

I hope everything workd again soon darling...have a nice week....love...xxx...

Heather said...

I don't have a Cricut,but after seeing your great project, I think I might need one!

Nezzy said...

Thank the Lord for Starbucks and Wifi!!! Woohoo!

Sorry about your service, hopefully ya'll be up and runnin' soon and very soon.

I love your year in review sweetie. Yep, hopefully ya didn't paint over a three dollar Renoir original! Heeehehehe!

God bless ya sweetie and have a magnificent day!!! :o)

Formerly known as Frau said...

Starbucks and Free wifi....perfect place to unwine! Love your subway tile turned out great!!

Jemm said...

That is so cool Leslie. I love it. Do you use your Cricut a lot? I've often wondered if I would use it often enough to justify buying one...I haven't yet. But everything I see people do with them is SO cool.

Hey, thanks for your sweet words about my weight loss. It's a long road and I appreciate the encouragement :)

Pumpkin said...

Another brilliant idea!

Hope you get your internet back soon although I wouldn't complain if I had to sit in Starbucks ;o) LOL!

Melanie said...

Totally awesome!! I love it. :)
And I think 2012 is still new enough that having 2011 in there is totally fine. (Now if you had accidentally put 2002 or something..........that would be bad. lol)

Yay for a network! Hope the outage isn't TOO bad on ya. :)

Michele said...

That is adorable! I could never think of anything like this. I wish I could work my Cricut. I have the Cricut cake and it works terribly! I LOVE your new blog layout for V-day. Beautiful. I still wanna steal your doggy. xxoo

Debbie Huffaker said...

I love Subway art, too...you did such a great job. I find myself "pinning" so many things that are merely words on Pinterest!!! HOPE you have a blessed week...stop by and see me sometime at Jeremiah 29:11!!!