Monday, January 23, 2012

special valentines


Can you believe that I still have these sweet little Valentines cards from my childhood. 

My mom saved and dated every one.

( I am no where near that organized.)


Above are a few from my still best friend Sherry..  ( before she could even spell my name right)

This one ( below) is from my grandparents in 1976.


The funny thing is..
I can still remember receiving a few of them.



Last year the girls and I started a new Valentines tradition.

It started with a request from a fellow blogger  Melinda at Country Dreaming who had asked her readers to make some valentine cards to send to the kids at the Kansas City Children's Hospital.

It was such a great project that the girls and I were excited to do it again this year.



We bought a few supplies,  made some hot chocolate and spent
this cold January day together creating joy for not only some special children, but for ourselves as well. 
As we laughed and chatted the whole time.


The girls really get into making these happy cards.



Now, they are all sealed with a kiss and ready to be sent.

Please join us and  Melinda in sending some extra love to some kids who need a smile.
For more information visit Country Dreaming.


As well as donating the cards to the Kansas City kids
we are also creating Valentines for our own Johns Hopkins Children's Hospital.
I saw this awesome idea on Pinterest and thought that they would be perfect.


These are just a few test samples.
Now that I know how easy that are to make..
We've got about 100 more to go! 


~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Have a fantastic Monday.
Stay warm.
xo



17 comments:

Pumpkin said...

I find this such a BRILLIANT idea Leslie! You should be so proud of your girls :o) The cards turned out great.

Formerly known as Frau said...

So cool you still have all your old cards! I love the ones you and the girls made such a great project! Oh and the cookie pops..do share the recipe and are they really easy?

The Working Home Keeper said...

Oh, how cute!

Mary Ellen
The Working Home Keeper

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

This is the sweetest post and my most favorite thing is that your mom saved all those cards and dated them. How wonderful. I have already bought my kids their Valentines cards. My hubby always gives them a little something and I am in charge of the cards. Love how you are sending those cards to the kids who need them most. Wonderful idea.

Katharine said...

Lovely! The cards look great! The kids and I were talking on the weekend about joining Melinda, it's such a good idea!
Happy Monday!

Tami @ Not Just a HOCKEY MOM said...

I have a few of my old cards too. Even the decorated paper bags we made in class to keep the cards in. I save a few years for the boys, but I have a feeling they will be more special to me than to them,

Brandi said...

I love that your mom saved and dated the cards for you! I bet it was nice to go back and read through them. Your daughters are very creative. I love the cards that you guys made for the children in the hospital.

Blondie's Journal said...

I think it is so sweet that your mom saved your cards!! They must bring back a lot of good memories. I saved my kids cards, too!

I love that you make homemade cards, I used to do that with my girls with lace and doilies and stickers...I ended up doing most of the work though! lol!

The candy looks delicious...very cute! You have been busy!! :-)

XO,
Jane

It's me said...

So nice that your mom save the cards for you.....nice to see all the valentine things here....nice to think of those childrens.......xxx..

Karen said...

I've been taking out the cards my kids received when they were little and displaying them for holidays. They seem almost vintage by today's standards!

What a great idea to use Christmas candy canes for the lolly pops. I never know what to do with all those leftovers.

Heading over to Melinda's to find out more about the card project!

Gina said...

I am so jealous of your childhood Valentines! I wish I had mine!

The cards your kids made are so sweet and so important. I'm sure they will brighten a sick child's day.

Sarah B said...

What great memories. We don't really celebrate valentines but it looks like fun. I love the idea of cards and treats for children in hospital. They'll just love those lolly pops!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Love the childhood Valentine's! It was always so fun to make our own "mailbox" and see what we got, also fun to hand out our own:@)

Heather said...

How sweet your childhood valentine's are! And your daughters made some extra special ones too!

Lilly said...

That's sweet that you've kept all your valentine's cards from when you were younger! Those cards that you and your girls made are beautiful, and it's so nice that you do it for a good cause.
I would love to go to America for valentine's day one year, just for the atmosphere, because it's nowhere near as big in any other country that I know of!

Melanie said...

OMG what a treasure trove of memories. That is so awesome.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

You are lucky to have such a treasure as those Valentine's! Makes me wish I had some of mine and not throw the kids away! Angie xo