Monday, November 28, 2011

10 things about me ~ Christmas version

  I found this survey online and thought that it would be a fun way to get the Christmas blogging started.

10 things about me - Christmas version 


 What is your favorite Christmas movie?

Well, there are two movies that I could watch over and over during the Christmas season.   

The first and my all time favorite is Home Alone.   I love the whole ambiance of this movie, especially the music and the house.  What a dream house that is,  it makes me want to go upstairs and clean my attic. : )



My second  favorite is Christmas Vacation.   I think that I love this one because we all can relate to the Griswold's.    Most relatable situation ~  the huge Christmas tree.   We spent many Christmases cutting down a tree that was waaaaay to big for our small living room.   The trees always look smaller in the woods.     Oh,  and I admit to once or twice making a crispy turkey. 




What is your favorite Christmas song?

Again,  I could never choose just one Christmas song.   I just love Christmas music.
One of my very favorites is Christmas Cannons ~ 
but I also love those traditional songs that I used to sing along to as a kid.

Anything off of the Beach Boy's Christmas album always puts me in the spirit.
It was my moms favorite and she would always play the record while we were decorating the house.
It brings back such fond memories of christmassing with my mom.


Do you have a nativity scene?

3 of them actually.  
I have a very beautiful nativity that my mother in law bought my many years ago.
An adorable manger scene that Sally made in 2nd grade.
and a teeny tiny set that I bought at the dollar tree.

Jesus is the reason for the season.
I feel that it is important to remember the true meaning and reason for Christmas.


What is your favorite Christmas animation?

This one is easy.
Rudolf!
In fact, it is on tomorrow ( Tuesday) night at 8:00pm.


What is your favorite childhood Christmas memory?

Any memories with my mom.   My mom loved Christmas!   We were dirt poor growing up and my mom always made the best of it.   She gave me the most wonderful Christmases.
We used to color in Christmas coloring books and then she would cut out the pictures and hang them in the windows.    We made Christmas trees and candy canes out of construction paper and strung popcorn and paper chains  for the tree.
 I wish that my kids could have enjoyed those Christmases with my mom
~ they would have loved it.


What was your most memorable gift?

My most memorable and cherished gift came from my grandparents.
It was the first Christmas after my parents divorce and my mom and I moved into my grandparents house with very little belongings.

I was around 10 years old and I loved Barbies.
That year, my pop built me a wooden barbie case
 and my grandma decorated it.
Inside, It was jammed packed with Barbie clothes hanging neatly on tiny little coat hangers.
It was the most amazing thing ever!!

This is me with that box a few years later.


almost 30 years later that same Barbie case hangs in my dining room.
It still has the same fixtures but is now rustic white with black stars.

( here it is ( Top Center) back in the summer)


That same Christmas I was spoiled with every Barbie item that you could imagine.

My all time favorite Barbies..

Western Barbie



and Western Ken.

... Whom, I am pretty sure grew up to be
Gov. Rick Perry.


Do you have any Christmas traditions?

Yes.  There are a few traditions that our family do every year. 
This is Paul and my 22nd Christmas and the one thing that has never changed is our angel tree topper.
Our first Christmas .. we didn't have a topper so he improvised by putting one of my stuffed animals on the top of the tree. 
And it is still there.
Only now it has wings and a halo.


I know that the kids would like something "normal"..  but I just can't bring myself to change it.

Do you have a special Christmas wish this year?

My Christmas wish this year is the same as it is every year.
Peace, love, health, and happiness to my girls and Paul.

If you could have anything for Christmas what would it be?

Anything.. 
If I could have anything it would be to have my mom, dad, grandparents and father in law for another Christmas day.   

I keep thinking of that Diamond Rio song "One more day".. 

If you could spend Christmas anywhere, where would it be?
I never want to be anywhere but here at home with my family and my Kurig coffee maker.



Answering this survey has reminded me of all of the reasons that I love Christmas.  I am so excited!  Let the Christmassing begin!!!

Happy Holidays.
xoxo


12 comments:

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Aww! What nice memories you have Leslie! I think simple Christmases are the best Christases and I yearn for those Christmases spend with my Grandparents too! I love that you still have your Barbie house! I like the same Christmas movies too...Home Alone is just the best! I really enjoyed getting to know you better! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

Gina said...

Awww, what a wonderful post, Leslie! I really loved hearing about your childhood Christmases. Isn't it amazing how even though having little in those days, you wouldn't have changed it for the world & now have very fond memories? If only we could bring back simpler times.

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

How fun. I love that you kept your Barbie case and oh my God that is Rick Perry.

It's me said...

Nice to read this !!.....lovely week darling....love love love.......♥.. ♥... ♥....

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love this and learning more about you! I will never forget the year I got the Barbie townhouse with an elevator! I still remember the excitement like it was yesterday!
Have a wonderful day!

Mamaw Bee said...

I love Rudolph, too. It is not Christmas if I don't get to watch Rudolph at least once.

Ana said...

Oh Leslie,
What an awesome post. I love, love, love Christmas. It's my most favorite holiday. The colors, sounds, smells and memories. Love it all. Thank you for sharing. Oooh, and my favorite Christmas cartoon is Rudolph too...Every year my hubby, daughter and I watch it on the t.v. together while enjoy hot cocoa and cookies...It's become a tradition. Can't wait for tonight.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Country Dreaming said...

Great post. Lovely memories.

I agree that having our parents for one more day would be super.

Melinda

Mo 'Betta said...

I love this! In fact, I think I might steal it ;) Christmas Vacation - best Christmas movie ever! and I love that you said "at home with my family and my Keurig"! I love mine too! (both my family and my Keurig :D )

Michele said...

Awww. Those are some great memories. I love your Barbie house. So sweet. When I saw the Western Barbie it brought back memories. I had that one and I LOVED the horse and spent a lot of time playing with those!

Pumpkin said...

I had that same exact horse and Barbie!!!! :o)

Kathryn D. Duke said...

what wonderful Barbie memories...and so special that you still use it today...I was a Barbie lover too but a bit older than you cause my Barbie has a bubble top!!!!