Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Maryland State Fair and the scary ride

Good Morning Friends
Happy September!
It's a cool cloudy morning here in Baltimore and I am up with the birds crickets.

There is much to do on the agenda this weekend.
My house needs a ... recovery.
It is time for me to clean and pack away all of the summer seashells and strawberries
and make room for some fall decor.

With the Halloween planning in full force
I don't want to do to much with the basic fall stuff
 since I will be transforming this house into Whimsy creepyville in just about 2 weeks.
I can't wait!


Yesterday, compliments of the free tickets given to us by Pork Chop at work, 
 we went to the Maryland State Fair and had a great time.


There were lots of animals to pet and watch.



This horse liked Sally.


Michelle ( the future bird vet) loved the chickens!



We watched eggs crack and begin to hatch

 

and saw many beautiful cows.

This little piggy had a cute butt
(Lynn and Earl ~ this one's for you.)

 

This boar was HUGE!


and these snoozing pigs looked strangely familiar..


Yup!   I totally see the resemblance.


The smell of cotton candy and bit beef filled the air.




and of course there were rides.









Dad was trying to renege on his promise to go on the Zipper with Sally


No way pal ~  a promise is a promise!


and upside down and away they went!!


Although I was tired and somewhat dreading the idea of walking around,
I'm glad that we went.
We all enjoyed ourselves!


The scariest ~ I mean SCARIEST ride of the evening
was the ride home.
I swear, I saw my life and my families lives flash right before my eyes.
Just as Paul accelerated onto the busy interstate .. we were driving behind a large tractor trailer carrying cars.
( the gray truck in the photo)
In a split second and large pole fell from this truck and danced across the road in front of us.
I think that it all happened in slow motion.
All that I could see was the pole coming directly at our windshield.
Thankfully Paul was driving and he did a great job trying to avoid it.
(He should've been a race car driver!)
He swerved back and forth and lucky the pole just bounced off of our bumper.


Even this morning I am still a little shaken.
I am just counting our lucky stars!


 ..and as my heart aches for bumps and bruises to my beautiful new car
I am sooo sooo happy to be home safe and sound with my family!!
I know that the busted fog light and scuffs on the bumper can be fixed.
My family is irreplaceable!!


Happy Labor Day weekend.









21 comments:

Brandi said...

glad you and your family had a nice time at the fair and are safe from the accident. the zipper is one scary ride! i screamed the whole ride the last time i rode it(many years ago). enjoy your holiday.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

That does sound really scary, I'm so glad you're all ok! I just had an e-mail from my local nursery, pumpkins are in!!! The fair looks like fun, cute pigs:@)

Blondie's Journal said...

Thankfully you weren't hurt...I don't like driving behind or next to trucks.

I love fairs...I have only been to county fairs though and would really like to go to our state fair which is about 3 hours away. I'm so glad you had fun. The Zipper, I can live without!!;-D

XO,
Jane

Gina said...

That really is scary! Thank goodness you are all safe.

Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

Lilly said...

Oh my God! my heart was pounding just reading about the pole that fell of the car in front of you! I can't imagine how it would be to sit there and experience it! Glad you're all safe, and like you say: the car can be fixed, family's irreplaceable.

Lee Ann said...

Oh Leslie! What a scare! I'm so glad you are all ok!

LOL at the resemblence between Darla and those adorable piggies!! I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Stay safe! x

Sarah B said...

Oh my goodness, at least you are all ok! That could have been a disaster. Sounds like hubby might have missed his calling as a NASCAR driver?

Katharine said...

Oh my word how scary! So glad you are all safe! Have a wonderful long weekend!

It's Just Dottie said...

I am so glad you and your family are safe. God is so good. I grew up in a very small town and oh my how my brothers and I loved the fair!!!
Smiles,
Dottie

Catherine said...

Glad you are safe! we will soon have the fair here for one month , they have big attractions,but too scary for me! good Sunday.

It's me said...

I am so glad you are safe !!...love from me....beautiful post !!...xxx...

Formerly known as Frau said...

Yikes what a scary ride..I'm glad you and your family or okay and your love can be repaired. Fair looks like a great time ....you had me a Cotton Candy...my favorite! Hope the weather is nice and you guys have a wonderful labor day!

Country Dreaming said...

Glad to hear that everyone is ok. How scary for you. You just don't knoe when something like this might happen. Of course, we never want it to happen.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend.

Melinda

Karen said...

How scary for you. We take our safety for granted, and then something like that happens. Your husband did a great job driving through it.

The fair sounds like a ball! Loved your photos, especially the piggies:)

Madelief said...

Dear Leslie,

You must have had some very good guardian angels! It sounds like a close shave, pfff. So scary!

The Maryland fair looks nice with all the animals. Your daughters look great on the photo!

Happy new week!

Madelief x

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Those are lovely pictures of a fun fun fun day, Leslie.

Have a wonderful week ahead! xx

Chaya said...

I love the photos. I feel like I took the trip with you.

I am sorry it ended the way it did but very thankful, you are all right.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I really love fairs and your pictures remind me of all the things I enjoy about them--You just left out the picture of a funnel cake! :-)) But I'm so glad that you and your family are safe and sound at the end of the day!!!!

Melanie said...

YIKES! That is scary. :( Glad everyone is okay.
We went to the Woodstock fair this weekend and had a ball. I LOVE THE FAIR!!! :)

Natasha in Oz said...

Oh my goodness Leslie, that is one scary story! I am so glad to hear you are all safe and sound. Thank God for your hubby's quick reflexes and excellent driving.

I hope that the school week has started happily for everyone!

Best wishes,
Natasha.
xo

Pumpkin said...

Sigh...I miss going to the fair :o( Looks like it was so much fun.

Wow! I've always wondered what would happen if something like that fell off a truck. Thankfully you and your family are okay! Yay for DH and his super duper driving skills ;o)