Sunday, September 18, 2011

colds, paints, television, apple bites and a sexy beard


Boy,  I am pretty proud of myself.
I haven't opened this lap top in about a week.

I know that you all are thinking
"I know what she's been doing"
and believe it or not.. 
 There are no Halloween decorations up in this house
YET!
Sure,  I've been thinking about it..
Next week I will get started.

We've been a bunch of back to school sickies around here.
First Sally started with a head cold..
Then Michelle...
Then Grandma Spoonful..
Then I had a stomach bug..
and this morning Paul and I both woke up with our heads clogged
~ our turn.

There really hasn't been a  tremendous amount of things going on this week..
Just cleaning, working and trying to get ready for the spooky adventures of the spoonful house.

Here are a few things that I've been obsessed with this week.

1.)  Martha Stewart paints
(available at Michael's)

While these paints are more expensive then your regular paints,
they coat  amazingly smooth and easy.



I used them to paint these letters so that I could get a little taste of Fall in the kitchen.




2.)  Fall television premiers.
I can't not wait for the new episodeses of my favorite TV shows to start.

Monday:  Two in a half men ~  just gotta see how Ashton is introduced to the show.
Wednesday:   Criminal minds ~ The return of JJ and Prentiss

Speaking of my favorite show Criminal minds.. 
My 3rd obsession of the week has to be my  favorite television boyfriend
SSA Agent Aaron Hotchner's new beard.
HOT!




Dear Criminal Minds people,
Please please please give Hotch and Emily some sexual tension this season.
I need it! 




Since it's nice and cool outside,  I'm feeling very Fall'ish.
Today I'm going to scan some blogs and cookbooks for a good casserole recipe
and Sally and I are going to make these little lovelies for dessert.



MINI CARAMEL APPLE BITES

1) Wash and peel a large, fairly tart apple like Granny Smith. Using a melon baller, extract balls of apple. A large apple will yield about 6 balls (plus scraps for you to snack on). Place in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.

2) Prepare a dipping station. You can use mini cupcake papers (as shown above) and lollipop sticks. In addition to a bowl of warmed caramel apple dip, you may want to add chopped nuts, m&ms or sprinkles.

3) Carefully spear each ball of apple through the ROUND end (not the part with the skin). Keep the flat end on the bottom, so they stand upright. Using a paper towel, blot off the excess lemon juice. This is important- if the apple has too much juice left on it, the caramel won't stick.

4) Dip the apple in the caramel, using a twirling motion to coat it evenly.

5) Transfer the apple to the nuts and roll, using a gentler twirling motion.

6) Stand the apples upright in the cups and let them chill in the fridge to solidify.



Hope that you all are having a fantastic weekend.
I will see you all soon
xo



21 comments:

It's me said...

Hi Leslie....what a nice post !! ....so nice that fall letters...they are great !! enjoy a happy sunday darling...love from me for you...xxx..

Country Dreaming said...

Sorry to hear that all have been under the weather. I guess it it that time of the year.

Cute letters---Bam!

Those apple bites looks way yummy!!!



Have a great Sunday.

Melinda

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Great post Leslie! I hope you are on the mend soon! I used the new Martha Stewart line of paints too and I loved them! Your little mini-caramel apples project looks so fun! I cannot wait for some of the TV premieres either. We just had a discussion about Two Men and my daughter asked if it will be better or worse. Good question. It will definitely be different! Have a wonderful Sunday at home with the fam! Angie xo

Heather said...

There is something about this time of year and getting sick! I haven't been able to blog hardly at all these last couple of weeks due to a cold that turned into an infection. After a trip to the doctor and some prescriptions, I am finally feeling better! Hope you and your loved ones are on the mend too!

I am also so excited to see your tin backsplash, since I have been thinking about putting one in my kitchen. Would you recommend them? Any dislikes?

It's Just Dottie said...

I pray you and your family will feel better very soon. I enjoyed your post today . The bright colors on your blog always make me smile!
Dottie

Katharine said...

Hey! We have sickies here too. Meg and Emily have colds...Hope it doesn't last too much longer at your house...Love the apple idea!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is such a cute project...I think I will give it a try {and Martha's new paints}! I am in the TV watching mood, too. Love Dancing With The Stars and am curious about Two And A Half Men~what a funny show!

Thinking about baking something today, too. It's in the 50's...time to nest!

I hope all of you are better soon!

XO,
Jane

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Lovin' your fall letters! Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, hope the cold passes quickly so you can get your spook on:@)

Lilly said...

Those fall letters looks really cute!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ashton Kutcher gets introduced to the show as well. Although I've not been an avid watcher of the show I can't really imagined it without Charlie as he is kind of the main person, so it'll be interesting to see if it will actually survive without him... It doesn't start until Tuesday here though.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I really love your back-splash and your creativity in your fall letters!! I hope everyone feels better and you have a 'healthy' week!!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I'm so excited for the fall TV line up .....and hello Hotch and his sexy beard....damn!! I hope something happens this season it's time!!
Have a great week...those mini bites look delish!

Brandi said...

Fall is definitely my favorite season. I can't wait to fill my porch with mums, enjoy the fair with my kids and bake an apple cobbler (or two)! your mini apple bites look delicious. hope you and your family are feeling better.

Melanie said...

I'm curious to see the new Two & Half Men too. It's never been my favorite show but I've always found it funny. Nothing new going on there character-wise but if it makes me laugh, it passes the test, you know? I'll give the 'new' one a chance and see how it goes. :)

Has Martha ever made a product that was bad? I have a set of non stick pans from her brand from Macy's and they are rocking, even years after I bought them!

Pumpkin said...

Well you seem to have been keeping yourself busy ;o) I'll have to remember that CM starts this week! I'm loving this time of year too!

Those apples look yummy! I just wish someone would make them for me ;o)

Ana said...

Hi Leslie,
One of my most favoritest shows has to be Criminal Minds...LOVE IT. Good thing we don't have a crush on the same guy...Can you guess who I like? Dr. Spencer Reid...What can I say, I like the nerdy/smart kind...Hee, hee, hee. Anyway, those little candy apple treats are soooo cute. I like candied apples, but they are always so messy to eat...Problem solved. I love it. Thank for sharing.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Annelie said...

LESLIE!!!
OMG, those apple bites!!!
I have to make them, I am completely drooling here in front of the computer. At 6AM.
I always thought that the regular candied apples were too much, too much of everything.
I would love to blog it as well, if I do, I will link back to you and give you credit. Is that okay?
So, what did you think about 2 1/2 Men last night?
I thought it was alright.
I think that he is just too new right now and that you're distracted by that. Perhaps in a month it will be different.
I was actually blogging simultaneously so I didn't quite follow the story.

Hope your household now is healthy.

Best,

Annelie

Nezzy said...

Well darn it to thunderation, I hate to see that ya'll have been so sick.

I've been 'round about tryin' to catch up on the summer blogs I've missed so much.

You and your household get to feelin' better. Maybe a good dose of Criminal Minds is just what the Dr. ordered. Woohoo!!!

God bless and have a beautiful day sweetie!!!

Julie Harward said...

I love your FALL letters, looks great and this yummy treat! :D

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

~~~ love your Fall letters you made...very cute !!!!

and i LOVE those baby caramel apples..so FUN !!!!

have a great weekend, leslie

hope everyone is feeling better

kary and teddy
xx

Mo 'Betta said...

Yummy dessert! Sorry y'all have been sickly - I can relate all to well! I'm currently on antibiotics myself :P I love the FALL letters! So cute!

Carmie of the Single Nester said...

Love the fall letters and what a bunch of new shows on tv! What to do? I can only tape one at a time and watch another.