Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday, August 21 ~ again


Tonight makes 6 years since we lost my wonderful father in law, the anchor of our family.
He had just finished watching a Nascar race and was preparing for dinner when an aneurysm struck and took him from us.
A day that has changed our lives forever.

I've had a few great men in my life
The first was my grandpa whom I lived with when I was born.
He did what grandpa's do..  spoiled, loved  and showered me with kindness.

Next is my husband who has given me the kind of love that I dreamed of as a little girl.
~ my wise cracking, hard working, beer drinking prince charming.
I wouldn't trade him in for the world.

Then with Paul came his family,  his dad..  whom I met when I was just 18.
Being so young it was like a inherited another set of parents to help me grow.
And his dad..  meant the world to me. 
He taught me so much.
He showed me what having a real father was like..
the unconditional love, caring, and kindness that came with it.
Like my own grandpa, my father in law lives on in my heart and in my memories every day.
I was so blessed to have been his family.




There has been a lot of nothing going on in the Spoonful house.

I can't explain why, but I haven't really been in the mood for blogging lately.
Maybe it is that my work schedule has increased a bit.
Or that we've been busy getting things ready for the return of school.
Or that it's that funky part of summer..  where I am sad to see it go but excited for a change of season.
Maybe it is the Jeep..  which I have practically lived in since we bought it.
It could be the Harlequin romance novels that have taken over my evenings
... or the big brother feeds that I am so addicted to.
Regardless of what it is..  I know that I will be back to normal soon
~ my favorite time of year is coming. : )

Speaking of which..  look at this pretty that I saw at the Pottery Barn online.

I think the cost of the skulls and moss was something around 25.00  ~ and that's not including the vase.

I know that I can recreate this with things found at Michael's for less then half of that.
The ideas are spinning 'round in my head.


Remember that I said that I was on the hunt for a new (thrift store) desk ?
I wanted something to replace the fairly new computer cabinet that I bought last winter.
It just wasn't working out.

I found the perfect desk at the Goodwill  last week for $35.00 

Here it is with a few drawers missing ~ 
getting ready for a makeover.



I gave it a few coats of white paint,
some new pretty knobs and pulls,
Sanded it to distress it a bit...



and here it is finished and functional.
Not bad for $40.00 ( including the hardware)

The chair belonged to Paul's grandparents
My father in law once told me that he used to sit in those chairs to do his homework.
Very cool!!


I hope that you all had a great weekend and are enjoying what is left of summer.
I will see you all soon
Have a fantastic week.

19 comments:

It's me said...

The weather is perfect here today.....real summer!!..wishing you streingth on this specially day darling......love from me....xxx...

Madelief said...

Hi Leslie,

So sorry to hear you are not feeling great. Today's post is a beautiful tribute to the men in your life. The memories about them who are no longer around to be cherished. I have very fond memories of my two grandfathers, who were both very special.

Your new desk looks beautiful! I LOVE it!!!

Take care!

Lots of love,

Madelief x

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm so sorry about your Father In Law. Mine is so much like a father to ma as well and I would miss him terrible. Hang in there, Leslie.

I'm getting ready for fall, too. I can feel the subtle changes in the air and the weather is just perfect. You have to love it!

You did a great job on the desk. I love how you distressed it. Very nice!!

I have been wondering where you have been. It's a crazy time with everyone returning to school and the summer winding down. And let's hear it for those romantic novels, I'm hooked!!

XO,
Jane

Jemm said...

Sorry you're in a slump right now Leslie. The anniversary of my Dad's death is coming in Nov. and I'm worried about how I'll handle it. I met my husband (and therefore his parents) when I was 16 so I know what you are talking about. Just do what you can.

Your desk is amazing!! It looks almost identical to a desk we have for my oldest daughter. It's still dark wood though. I need to get started on it was the weather cools down a bit. I love the new knobs and the sanding you did. Very nice job.

Lilly said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law, and it was nice to hear how close you were to him.

Te vase with the skulls looks really cool, I look forward to seeing your re-creation of it! The desk also looks really good after you painted it and changed the knobs.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy the new week and season!

Pumpkin said...

Super job on the desk!

Bronwyn said...

Leslie,
It's such a blessing to have strong, nurturing males in the family. My grandfathers were...not so nuturing :) I am sorry for your pain.
Also wanted to say that I LOVE what you did to the desk!! Looks awesome!
Eat a piece of chocolate or desert in memory of your father-in-law :)
:) Bronwyn

Gina said...

Your desk looks wonderful! Nice job.

Country Dreaming said...

Sorry to hear that you are in a funk. This time of year will do it to a person. Lots of anticipation for what is to come and being sad to let go of we had. It ios good that you have such wonderful memories of your Father-in-law.
Hopefully a different routine will give you a spark.

The desk looks great!

Melinda

Formerly known as Frau said...

You have had some amazing men in your life and I'm sorry you are missing your FIL . Desk redo is awesome ....I know what you mean about blog funk...I'm in it. Haven't taken a picture etc in weeks....I'm ready for fall and a change! Take care!

Julie Harward said...

Good job on that desk, it looks great! You are a blessed woman to have such love in your life, not many are so blessed. :D

Brandi said...

Sorry you hit a slump, Leslie. Take a break and be with your family. breaks are necessary and good. Rest well! xoxo

Julie said...

I know what you mean I lost my Dad five years ago this November and boy do I miss him. He was such a great man and after my mother passed he took over that part of my life. I really miss our weekly lunches!

Cute desk!!!!

Melanie said...

So sorry about your father-in-law. I wish I had had that type of close relationship with my FIL. :( He'd had a hard life though and, while he loved to laugh, he wasn't someone you could really get close to. It sounds like you and your FIL had a very special relationship.

The desk looks shabby chic and fabulous!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Sometimes you just need a break from blogging but I am glad you are back. Love that desk. The green knobs are to die for. The skeleton thing is great. Just got my new pb catalog today. Will have to take a look later.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I am also sorry about the loss of your Father in Law. But you're remembering them and their positive influence on you and your life would, without question, make them equally proud of you!

I am jealous of what you've done to that desk!! :-)

Lauren said...

love your blog!

All That Glitters said...

I swear I'm having a hard time beating the funk too. Your not alone! If you ever need to talk to please call or email me. I'm here anytime. I often feel I'm the only person who feels this way.

Love your desk! You are so dang talented!

Deila said...

This turned out great. I have an old one similar to this.