Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mom's Apple Squares

Here we go,
Our 16th straight year ~ and our final year
 at the special little catholic school that my girls have attended since preschool ~ 8th grade.
I say OUR because not only have our girls grown up at that school
but I have spent almost half of my life there as well.
( I was just 24 when my oldest started school there.. and now I am hitting 40)

It is only the first day of the 8th grade for my youngest
and I am already feeling nostalgic.
I can only imagine what it will be like at the end of the school year.
I don't even want to think about it.

Since it was her first day of school
I wanted to make a little treat to go with her choice of dinner.



I found this recipe in the Phyllis Hoffman Celebrate Fall magazine.



Mom's Apple Squares


3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 3/4 cups of sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
3 cups of unpeeled Braeburn or Gala apples
1/2 cup of walnuts
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 to 3 tablespoons of whole milk

Preheat oven to 350'. Coat a 15x10 jelly-roll pan with nonstick baking spray and flour ; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine eggs and salt.  Beat on medium speed until frothy, about a minute.
Add sugar and oil, beat until blended.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon.  Add to egg mixture, beat until blended.
Fold in apples, nuts and vanilla.  Pour into prepared pan, spread evenly.

Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool on a while rack.

In a medium bowl, combine confectioners sugar, butter and enough milk to achieve a spreadable consistency. Spread over cake.  When frosting has set, cut into bars.

(about 25 servings)

FANTASTIC!!!!





Have a fantastic Thursday friends!!!!

xoxo

15 comments:

Pamela said...

Oh yum...I love apple recipes. I'll be trying it soon.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

A perfect treat for "back-to-school"!

Deila said...

This looks great, and I am going to try it out tomorrow.

Sarah B said...

That looks delicious! Apples make everything nice.
happy autumn to you!!

It's me said...

Yammie !!..that looks delicious!!...love love from me....xxx....

Formerly known as Frau said...

Exciting yet sad I get it. My daughter went to a Catholic School K-8th the same 32 kids, it was a sad day when they graduated and we moved. It was our community....now we are a fish in a big pond. I hope they have a great school year. Love the apple treat..so ready for fall. I'm ditching all things summer this weekend and whipping out Autumn!

Brandi said...

i hope your girls had a great first day! your apple squares look delicious. i can imagine how good the kitchen smells while they are baking.

All That Glitters said...

Man! I'm going to make this, this weekend!

My favorite time is coming too!!!

Jemm said...

That would be an emotional day! Your apple bars look yummy. Do you think I could use red delicious? and heavy whipping cream instead of whole milk? I want to make them right now!

Pumpkin said...

Ahhhh, back to school time :o)

Oh geez, I really shouldn't read your Blog when I'm hungry...

Gina said...

Oh yummy...those look delicious!

Heather said...

That's a long time to be at a school. No wonder you are feeling nostalgic! This is the first year after 14 years that we no longer have a child in elementary school. The other day I went to the calendar to see when Back to School Night was, and then I realized I didn't have to go this year! hee! hee!

Country Dreaming said...

Oooo that looks sooo yummy!
I'm sure she will enjoy these.

Melinda

Katharine said...

Yum! Those look so good! No news yet, so I'm guessing I didn't get the job :( Glad your Fall is starting off well... Have a great long weekend! (By the way...can I have that banana bread recipe? The kids devoured it!)

Melanie said...

*DROOLING*