Sunday, August 7, 2011

Goodwill finds, a delicious treat and a peaceful sunday morning

Good Morning!
I woke up with the birds this overcast Sunday morning.
It's humid
There is a light drizzle and the sound of summer locusts has been replaced by the constant chirp of crickets.

Summer is fading away fast.
Although I am ready for some cooler less humid days
I am not ready for summer to end.
I will miss those lazy days floating with the soft bay current.
Ice tea and sandwiches on the deck after swimming.
Mostly, I will miss this carefree summer schedule.

School starts at the end of August for my youngest.
As much as we have denied it's coming
we finally had to face it and pick up the much needed school supplies.
Fresh pencils and notebook paper are always fun ~  for the first week.

Oh well,   I guess we better enjoy what is left of the season.


I made the most delicious treat last night. 
It is called Apple Cinnamon Upside down cake ~
and oh my goodness.. it  was great!



In fact.. I think that I will heat up a piece for breakfast!


This simple cake calls for a tube of cinnamon rolls, pecans, apples ( I used apple pie filling), brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter.

~ for the complete easy recipe visit The Lady Behind The Curtain.

While on the hunt for a new desk
I found some great treasures at the thrift shops this weekend.

I LOVE enamalware,
I just can't get enough of it.
Boy, was I thrilled find this set of 3 yellow enamal bowls.


They cost me $5.00 and are in perfect condition!


Just in time for Fall
I found this festive pumpkin serving dish/bowl


How much fun it this..
I don't know what I will use it for first!


Lastly I found this sweet wooden cabinet for $10.00
and I was completely smitten with it.


I love  to hang things on the walls that are 3 dimensional
and this is the perfect touch to the livingroom.

I have no idea what I will put inside of it!



But I already love how it looks.


I had to do some "wall rearranging" and moved the old window to the dining room.
It actually looks much better in there.


As for the rest of this peaceful Sunday
I am going to do the dreaded laundry
give this house a good cleaning
fry apples to go with some delicious baked pork chops
and
take the Jeep out for a ride somewhere.

Have a wonderful week everyone!!
xoxo








19 comments:

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

You found some really fun things! Love the yellow bowls and the pumpkin dish is perfect for you-enjoy:@)

Susan said...

Awesome finds, everything looks so summery.
Enjoy your new things and stay cool.
Susan

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

You found some wonderful items. Those bowls are such a great color and I love the little red shelf. Your house is so cute. Love the pitch fork on the wall.

It's me said...

Have a wonderful day too.....love Ria....xxx...

Formerly known as Frau said...

I wish I was your neighbor....would love to go Goodwill/Flea Market shopping with you. You find the best things! Love them all! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Brandi said...

great finds, Leslie! your cake sounds delicious. my kids start school tomorrow! they're ready to go, but I'm gonna miss our days together.

Gina said...

You have found some amazing treasures! The prices were excellent too. Your cake looks delicious...yum!
Summer is certainly flying along.
Enjoy your Sunday & your ride in the Jeep!

Heather said...

Hi Leslie! Boy you sure found some wonderful things! I just adore the cabinet!!

Summer goes by just too fast. My kids go back on August 22. We went last week and bought school supplies...so depressing!

Katharine said...

The cabinet looks great... that cake looks amazing!! Happy Sunday...

Madelief said...

Hi Leslie,

We hardly had any summer in Holland, so I hope we will still get some :-)! Good luck with shopping for school supplies. My daughters will go next week too.

Love your wooden cabinet! It looks good on your wall.

Happy new week & lieve groet,

Madelief x

Lee Ann said...

ooh Leslie, I love your finds! And that cake! Oh it looks amazing!! I wish I could buy a tube of cinnamon rolls here. Sounds delish.

I am counting down the days til Autumn, I love the nights drawing in and the cooler days.
I hope you have a lovely week, do you have any plans? It is the last weekof our summer hols so we have a lot to squeeze in! x

Julie Harward said...

I love the little red wall cabinet, so so cute! That cake looks perfectly awesome too! We are just really getting summer now, it has been such odd weather! ;D

Sarah B said...

The apple cake looks delicious! I'd have it for breakast too!
Just so you know Leslie - I have been reading your blog and trying to comment, but they don't always work. Have a lovely week x

Majid Ali said...

Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti
I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.

What you have to do is follow these simple steps

1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
and that's it.

Note:Visit my blog from Google.com. Only ONE click is asked and nothing else
I will be very grateful to you.

Kathy said...

Yum! Love your apple dessert! It sounds fantastic - I might make something similar for lunch - having company!
Your 3-D wall hangings are terrific! I love it!
You seem to wake up to the same morning as I do - in Central Georgia!
It's quite humid this morning!
Hope you have a marvelous day,
Kathy

Melanie said...

What great finds!! Love love love all the new stuff.

Pumpkin said...

Ugh! I have to learn not to ready your Blog if I'm hungry!!!! LOL!

Great finds Leslie :o)

Natasha in Oz said...

I am really counting down til summer as I'm so sick of the unusually cold winter over here. It started warming up the weekend and then today I'm back in my winter warm and putting on the heating! I think I need to bake that yummy cinnamon creation to warm me up!

Best wishes and happy week,
Natasha.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Those cinnamon buns look sooo good Leslie! I love the new shelf that you hung...wish I could find one of the those! I think $10 for it is one steal of a deal! Don't you just love thrifting? And I like the new home of the window too! Angie xo