Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Twist cookies and table tops

Hi Friends
Happy Tuesday!
Thank you all so much for the encouragement on the last post
This is just a speed bump and I WILL make it!

It's a scorcher outside today.
We had planned on taking the boat out until we found it that it was going to be a 100' day.

Never mind!



Since I haven't baked anything fun lately,  It was time to make something new.
I pulled out one of my favorite cookbooks,  The Gooseberry Patch Cake, Cookies and Brownie book.
Gooseberry Patch Rocks!
I made an easy cookie called Twist Cookies and they are delicious.


I love my little old kitchen.  
Some days when i come in to the cleaned kitchen,
I smell great food cooking and see a beautiful bunch of fresh flowers from my garden
and It takes my breath away and I feel like a queen.

I'm not one who requires big and fancy.
Growing up we were dirt poor, moving in and out of apartments and slums
..  My mom never had a real kitchen to call her own much less the money to buy enough food to cook in it.

We live in a little old house
In crappy Baltimore city
and it is warm and loved and we have so much history here.

I think of my mom and how she would have loved to have been blessed with a little house like this.
A family like mine.
and I am humbled.

 Someday before we leave this house
 I would love some new (wooden) counter tops and a matching floor.


Mr and Mrs Claus are celebrating Christmas in July.
They were a Christmas gift from my friend Marge 
and we decided then that we would leave them out all year long.


Cookie time.

These boys are just dying for a taste.

Did I give them some..

Of course!


~ Lazy.. yes.




Just one more.. Please?



Since it is Table top Tuesday I will show you how
I "reset" the dining table top the other day.

I love how the flowers look in the blue sand pail.

The Black Eyed Susan's ( Maryland state flower) are from my front garden
and the blue hydrangeas are fake.


How do you like those blue polka dot PAPER plates..

I am in search of some funky glass versions.



Look what I found  on the patio table this morning..

A baby stink bug!!

The battle shall begin!



Have a fantastic day everyone!!
xoxo

Don't forget to enter the Spoonful 300th post giveaway..  
The deadline is Friday July 15, 11:59





24 comments:

Julie Harward said...

I grew up poor too and those roots run deep still. I learned a lot from those years as I know you did. I think Love grows best in little houses...I love your kitchen, it's all it needs to be. Those cookies look so so good! Love the dogs faces! ;D

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I adore your "little kitchen"...and I know the feeling you get too! Your sweet place has taken my breath away today and I absolutely loved your post! I can taste the sugar and butter in those twists! Yum...

Deb said...

Your kitchen is darling and has all that you would need to enjoy it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that gives a cookie to my dog. :)

Katharine said...

I love your kitchen! It always looks so warm and inviting...We never had a lot growing up, or when I was grown up for that matter lol, but somehow, it is the love and laughter and the ones who live with us that matter, not much else!

It's me said...

Love ....Ria...so sweet your dogs......xxx...

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

I just love your little kitchen. I have an old vintage one as well and it is my favorite room in the house. Yum my little one would love these sprinkled cookies.

Pamela said...

Those cookies look so yummy but what I love best is that your furry children just can't wait to get a tasty treat!

Sarah B said...

Hi Leslie, I have been having trouble commenting here, but will try again :)
Love the look of those cookies and especially the first pic with Sharkey. How cute! Thanks so much for your comment about my Charlie dog. Everyone has been so sweet x

Kathryn D. Duke said...

I was raised with too much and take it all too forgranted...and complain because I do not have granite counter tops etc...you make me very ashamed of myself...

Your kitchen is just adorable and you have all the great taste...

Thanks for blessing me today!!

La said...

I think you have a wonderful and cozy kitchen. I understand why it takes your breath away.

You have very polite dogs.

Country Dreaming said...

Those look delish. You are a brave woman to heat up your house in the heat.
I don't like to heat up the house
when it is hot.

Have a great one.

Melinda

Heather said...

Hi Leslie! I thought of you today as I was buying a lime green polka dot clipboard at Staples. I just couldn't resist the polka dots, and it was on clearance for $2.

The cookies look delicious. I especially love how Sharky is looking hungrily at them! Too cute!

Emreen said...

Wow... Love Mr. and Mrs. Claus...and the arrangement of faux and real flowers.... so lovely !!! Love the blue glasses, blue pail.. and the blue pitcher.... !! The cookies look yumm....and Your boys look cute.... !!

Emreen said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and for the sweet comments... Hope to see you more often !!

Have a fab week... ;-) !!

Alwayzbakin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele said...

Your cookies look delicious! Lovely table setting too. And I always tell you this, but your dogs are so stinkin cute!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Your home is what everyone want homey...not all homes have that...where you walk in and you feel comfortable. I'm striving for that here. Cookies look so good...great way to beat the heat bake!! Have a great hump day!

Pen Pen said...

I love homey country kitchens!! Those that shine and look like they've never even been cooked in... not so much! The cookies look delicious and I love the doggie pic's... mine would have never allowed pic's without them stealing the cookies first!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Hi...those cookies look so good! and easy. Your kitchen looks so cute. I LOVE how you put the rake by the picture in your dining room. Adorable!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

To start, did I know that you were in Baltimore? We're not too far from you, just on the other side of Frederick around Leesburg. But I love your kitchen and would love to sit there with chatting and enjoying those delicious looking cookies!

Jemm said...

Your cookies look so yummy! How did you get the sprinkles to stick? Your kitchen is adorable. Mine was top of the line in 1960. Now, it's just ugly and bland. I am not a real DIY kind of gal, unfortunately, and we don't have the money to remodel. Something small and cute like yours would be awesome! Big and old is TOO daunting. Anywho--I read your last post and I hope things will get back on track for you quickly Leslie. You seem like a tough lady, so I'm sure you'll make it through. Take care.

Anna said...

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for following my blog "Halloween Night"! Also, these cookies look fabulous!! I have to try and make them!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Leslie...your kitchen is so adorable..I love it! You are right when you say that it takes your breath away...it takes my breath away too! The flowers in the blue pot are stunning!! The cookies look delish too! Angie xo

Carmie of the Single Nester said...

The looks on your dogs faces are so precious!