Sunday, July 25, 2010

fresh Maryland tomato spaghetti sauce

I learned/tried something new today...
and had so much fun doing it.
FRESH TOMATO SPAGHETTI SAUCE

I have never attempted to make sauce from scratch before ..
I started with 12 Maryland tomatoes and fresh herbs from my gardens.

I could smell it cooking from outside...
it turned out Amazing!!! 

Here's what I did:
Peel fresh tomatoes (dunk speared tomatoes in boiling water 30 seconds.
Immediately dip in cold water, pull off skin.)






2 cloves garlic
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 green pepper chopped
3 lb. tomatoes (10 med.)
1 1/2 c. water
2(6 oz.) paste
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. instant beef bouillon granules
Fresh oregano
fresh basil
1/2 tsp. salt
 pepper

Spaghetti noodles



Core tomatoes, cut in quarters and put into slow cooker Add water, onion, garlic, green pepper, paste,  sugar, bouillon, oregano, salt, basil, pepper . 


I made some meatballs on the side..
browned them on all sides before adding them to the sauce.

Cook on low for about 5 hours..
pour yourself a tall glass of milk,
bust out the paper plates,
 Spoon over spaghetti
and
Badabing  Badaboom!!




Yummo!!!

22 comments:

Katharine said...

This looks really good! I've never thought of making sauce in the crockpot! Yum!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks yummy! Isn't it fun when you try something new and it turns out great-enjoy!

Jennifer said...

That looks really good missy!!!

Country Dreaming said...

Well look at you!
Looks great and I bet it was!!

Melinda

Julie Harward said...

YUM...nothing has the flavor of fresh...looks so good! :D

Simoney said...

That looks delicious Leslie! I am more a jar of sauce type of chef; but I am mega impressed that you make your own!
:)

It's me said...

Yes yes !! that sauce look so nice....i wish i could taste it now......yammie......happy new week....love Ria.....

Julie M. said...

That looks delicious!! I love that you used all your own homegrown produce as well. That definitely kicks it up a notch in my book. Nice work!

The Working Home Keeper said...

That looks so delicious Leslie! I'm going to try this! I usually make spaghetti sauce using canned tomatoes. This looks so awesome. btw - Love your backsplash!

Mary Ellen

Jane @ Going Jane said...

Super yummy looking, Leslie!! And I love, love, love the red crock pot. :)

Lee Ann said...

Ooh sounds good. I always make my own sauce but I use passata. I have never thought about using tomatoes, I think I will give yours a try xx

Julie said...

Boy does it look yummy! Hopefully I will get some tomatos before the summer ends and I will be sure to try your recipe!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love slow cooker recipes! Your sauce looks delicious! I just found your blog and signed up as a follower. I will be checking back often to see what other yummy recipes you will be whipping up.

Ana said...

YUMMO is right! Your sauce looks delish. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Oh and Leslie I also wanted to thank you for stopping by A Petite Cottage and becoming a follower. I'm thrilled to meet you. Can't wait to look around your blog some more. Hope you come and visit again soon. Until next time. Have a wonderful new week.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

corry said...

Looks very delicious!! I have to give this a try.. my family loves spaghetti! Thank you for the recipe.

Melanie said...

You know what? For all the cooking I've done (and I've done a LOT) I've never, not even once, made tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes either. Always from canned. It looks fabulous!

Beach Vintage said...

One word. Yum. Thanks so much for your kind words on my blog last friday. Hugs. Simone xx

Sheri said...

That sauce looks amazing! I am going to have to try that. We are big fans of spaghetti. You can't get any better than fresh.

Jemm said...

That looks very yummy Leslie! How do like the Barefoot book? I'm nearly finished and I've really enjoyed it. Almost feel like I've escaped to the beach myself, almost ;)

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Hooray for FRESH!
Have a happy happy Tuesday, Leslie. xx

Pumpkin said...

That DOES look good!

Carmie, the Single Nester said...

Looks delicious. I love fresh tomato sauce - or gravy as we call it in our family.