Friday, June 11, 2010

Cake class part 2

I had my second fun cake decorating class at Michael's this week.

First though, I had to bake a cake, make two separate textures of icing to take with me.

I made a white cake..  ( I was trying to conserve calories!)  

For the first time I used Wilton's bake even strips
You soak them in water then wrap them around your cake pan
pin in place
and your cake well bake perfectly even and flush.

They worked perfectly!
My cake however was a little tender around the sides.

of course I forgot to photograph it when I pulled it from the oven.



For the icing I followed Wilton's Butter Cream recipe.
I made a double batch of this..

1 cup of solid white vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon of Wilton flavor ( i used butter flavor)
7-8 teaspoons of milk or water ( I used milk)
1 lb of 10x sugar
1 tablespoon of Meringue powder


Basically you mix that junk up
add more milk and sugar to make the consistency that you need

I needed a medium consistency and a soft





Have I ever mentioned that I am a messy cook!!
I didn't get that name Messlie Leslie for nothin.

Since my cake was so tender I was afraid to cut it with my awesome wired cake leveler.
so I didn't cut or torte mine.

Here is the girl across from me torting hers.


I love this method of piping icing around the sides and filling the middle with whatever you want.
Some had chocolate pudding, a softened peanut butter,  fruit preserves 


Back to my cake..

I used my huge Wilton icer tip (#789 i think) to put the ( softer)  frosting on.


Later after the icing crusted a bit
With the teachers help,
I placed a piece of parchment paper over the top and rubbed the icing smooth with my fingers. 
It flatten out nice!!

The teacher taught us some methods of  making designs with our medium textured icing.  


This is really cool
we placed parchment paper over a design and
used something called  (clear) piping gel
to trace it. 

Then laid the transfer over the cake..



We basically filled our cakes in using the different techniques that we learned. 


Not to bad for a first time.

YUMMY!
Having this cake around is not a good idea for a girl who is struggling on weight watchers!!

*
Check these cakes out!
They were made by two adorable sisters
(Whom I want to make some cute cupcake earrings for
 since they were awesome enough to let me use their piping gel)  

Having two daughters of my own
I just love little girls and those two remind me of my own.
I am super impressed with them! 

Cupcake cake/decorator age 11


Fish cake/ decorator age 9



Have a great weekend all!

I promise to get to all of my favorite blogs this weekend.
It's been a little crazy around here.

As for now
I have a date to see some real fish with a beautiful 11 year old.

Happy Friday!




9 comments:

Madelief said...

Dear Leslie,

Your cake looks fab! Happy weekend!

Lieve groet, Madelief

June said...

What lovely cakes!

Melanie said...

YUM. YUM. AND YUM. The cakes look fabulous!

If you need a couple cupcake beads, just let me know. I'll 'whip' some up for you in whatever color you like. :)

Frau said...

Awesome cakes.....corner slice please...and some milk! Have a wonderful weekend.

Country Dreaming said...

Looks like you are having agreat time. Fantastic job by the way!
Enjoy the fish.

Have agreat weekend~!

Melinda

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Your cakes are gorgeous, pure Deliciousness! Wishing you a lovely weekend. xx

~Carrie from Cottage Cozy~ said...

I took those classes years ago and really had fun too. I have made many cakes since then...and even had a little business at one point. You did a great job, Leslie. I have never seen those "cake wraps"!

See you tomorrow!

Jane said...

So glad you are having fun with this! It looks like a great time! Loved your cake, too! :)

Haupi said...

You saw me at Jane's blog? Great. Well I'm a new follower of yours now too. You have a happy and bright looking blog and with all that icing and cake I just saw, I'm glad to be here. Not bad for a first try. Smiles.

Hope you pop back over to my blog and return the follow. Thanks!

Haupi
http://hauplight.blogspot.com/