Saturday, February 27, 2010

the gift that keeps on giving






In honor of what would have been my grandpa's birthday today, Saturday February 27th, I want to share with you one of my most prized possessions.



The Christmas of 1981 was the Christmas that will always remain the best Christmas of my childhood. I was 10 years old and my parents had separated earlier that year. My mother and I moved around a bit until we finally landed safely at my grandparents house. Living with my grandparents was only natural to me since I spent every weekend with them anyway. I loved those Saturday nights spent with them. It was the same routine, grand mom would not so gently comb the tangles from my hair before Pop pop and I could curl up in our Pj's with our gianormous bowls of vanilla ice cream and watch the Love Boat and Fantasy Island. I always fell asleep during the first 5 minutes (right after Tattoo spotted Da Plane Da Plane) on Fantasy Island.

Having moved around so much in that short period I either lost or left toys behind and when we moved in with my grandparents I carried a shoe box filled with one Barbie doll and a few pieces of Barbie clothes. I remember so vividly how I would turn the shoe box upside down and cover it with a wash cloth to make Barbie a bed.


That Christmas my grandparents spoiled me so much more then any child deserved. My Barbie moved up in the world.. she made new friends, got a horse, a dog, a jeep, a corvette, a mobile home and the greatest Barbie wardrobe imaginable. I was in Barbie wonderland!!! My grandfather built me a huge wooden Barbie case and grandma decorated it with contact paper and Barbie stickers. Inside of this wonderful wooden case was a dowel rod and at least a hundred Barbie outfits hanging neatly on little hangers.

I only have this one photo of my special Barbie case and it was taken a few years later.





The dress is one of the original dresses that was hanging there that Christmas.. and being the sentimental soul that I am ~ this lone dress still hangs in it.




In almost 30 years, My Barbie case has gone through many transformations yet it still remains one of my favorite most cherished possessions.



and although I recently repainted it, the fixtures and hardware are the original pieces that pop used.





Today it hangs in my dining room and safely holds special treasures and trinkets ~ including the little red Barbie dress.

I am so grateful to have this gift. I wonder if my grandparents knew then how special this wooden box would be to me.



5 comments:

Katharine said...

It's lovely, what a wonderful memorie and treasure!~ Blessings on your Saturday!:)

Shari from Big Yellow Farmhouse said...

Your grandparents would be so pleased to know that you have kept this and given it a place of honor in your home. It is such a tribute to them and how important they were in your life. Aren't these the most precious things we have, these homemade heartfelt gifts - the sweet evidence of being so loved!

Julie said...

What a wonderful story! My son has a box that my dad build him and he still has it and wouldn't part with it for anything!

Country Dreaming said...

It is so neat to have these kinds
of memories. I think it's great that you still have it and use it.
Too many times stuff gets lost in the shuffle of life and then we regret not having it.
Looks great in your house.

Melinda

myletterstoemily said...

what a sweet story andmoving way to
commemorate your precious gift.

blessings,
lea