Sunday, December 20, 2009

Rum Cake




While we are snowed in I have lots of time for .. well.. anything. This morning I made every one's favorite Rum Cake. I baked them ( 4 mini cakes) in my pretty little snowflake pan and I am sad to say that while I was distracted with another project, I over cooked them just a wee bit. Nevertheless, they are still delicious!! ~
Rum cakes will always remind me of Grandma F, my fathers mother. When you visited her house there was always a rum cake waiting.
It took a few attempts before I finally found a rum cake recipe that tastes just like grandma's. This cake is the best ~Although, I am quite sure that she did not cheat like I do.

( Merry Christmas Jeanette ~ this is for you! )




Recipe:

Cake:

1 package of yellow cake mix
1 package of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup of chopped walnuts
1/2 cup of rum
1/4 cup water
4 eggs

Preheat oven at 325'
Grease and flour (bundt) pan
sprinkle walnuts on bottom of pan ~ sometimes I mix them in with the cake mix too



Combine cake ingredients ~ blend well. Pour in pan over walnuts. Bake @325 for about an hour. Let cool, puncture with fork.

Glaze:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup rum
1/4 cup water

Combine glaze ingredients in saucepan and cook for 5 mins ( until sugar and butter have melted) Pour over cake.. let stand for about a half hour

1 comments:

Julie said...

Its nice to have those memories! Cute Pan!!